Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Great Ocean Road (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/great-ocean-road-832033/)

Roadster Mar 21st, 2010 01:38 PM

Great Ocean Road

I, too, have questions on where to stop or stay on the great Ocean Road drive. Our flight arrives at 3:00 PM in Melbourne and we plan to start the drive and end up somewhere before dark. There is a restaurant in Lorne that we'd like to try, so I would like to know if this would be a good place to stop for the night. I also would like a suggestion on where to stay near here. Thanks for any info provided.

DownUnder Mar 21st, 2010 03:13 PM

If you are arriving at 3.00pm I would certainly go no further than Lorne. Depending on where you are coming from, the GOR should not be negotiated if you are jetlagged. Lorne is also the best town on the GOR proper with several good restaurants and many accommodation options. The Mantra is excellent http://www.mantraerskinebeachresort.com.au/
The Cumberland is also in a great position, but there are many others.
http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...67D2F1C601146/

Roadster Mar 22nd, 2010 05:34 PM

Thank you for your response. We are now thinking we should spend more time on the coast road instead of Melbourne because we prefer nature over city activities. We have 4 nights in the Melbourne area (arriving 3:45 PM, April 9th)and our flight leaves at 6:00 AM on April 13th. We arrive Melbourne at 2:45 PM on April 9th and plan on picking up car and starting Ocean drive arriving in Lorne first night. I am wondering whether we should just choose this spot as a 2 night place, traveling down the road and back, and then spending 2 nights in Melbourne. This would give us one full day in Melbourne. Or should we spend 3 nights on the Ocean Road arriving back in Melbourne early afternoon for 1 night before our 6:00 AM flight out? Thanks for any input.

DownUnder Mar 22nd, 2010 10:22 PM

There is a lot to see on the GOR, but Melbourne is also a great city and worth getting to know. If you spent 2 nights in Lorne it would be enough time to allow you to drive to Apollo Bay (Lorne to AB is a spectacular section of the GOR and takes about 45 mins.) then visit the Otway Fly and drive onto the 12 Apostles and Port Campbell. You need go no further than Port Campbell for the major GOR experience. Apollo Bay to 12 Apostles is about 75 mins. with most of the drive inland before it returns to the coast(turn off for the Otway Fly) and then continue to 12 Apostles. The return to Lorne would be about 2 hours. It would be a full day, but quite comfortable. That allows you to return to Melbourne for 2 nights and a full day.
http://www.otwayfly.com/

DownUnder Mar 23rd, 2010 12:42 AM

I might add that you could always return to Melbourne from Lorne via Ballarat and Daylesford, taking you through some of Victoria's best countryside.

Roadster Mar 23rd, 2010 05:38 AM

Thanks for that insight. That sounds doable. I feel better now that I have asked these questions.

olivetta Mar 24th, 2010 03:07 AM

Lorne is a very pretty place, as are many others throughout Victoria. Plenty of accommodation available, especially some Bed & Breakfast places you will pass on roads. Don't attempt Great Ocean Road if you are tired. You can pass through the city of Geelong on the way to Great Ocean Road and drive around the foreshore area.
If you are from overseas and want Aust nature, try Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary which is a one and a half hour drive east of Melbourne central. Lovely setting and you see the animals close-up. The drive is through the Yarra Valley grape-growing area with lots of wineries on the way.
There are many, many interesting things to see around the city itself.

olivetta Mar 24th, 2010 03:12 AM

I forgot to alert you to the fact that you arrive during Victorian school holiday period so may find accommodation around GOR areas booked. Melbourne shold be OK but I suggest that you make a prior booking for Lorne because it is very popular. Check any of the Internet accommodation booking sights for Victoria/Melbourne.

Roadster Mar 24th, 2010 09:04 PM

One last question to anyone. I am taking the advice to spend 2 nights in Melbourne and 2 nights on GOR. Should I spend 2 nights in Lorne and use it as a base, or one night and travel to Apostles and Otway Fly, and find accommodations there. My plan is to end up in Melbourne after 2 nights on GOR. I hate bouncing in and out of hotel rooms. As Downunder mentioned, it would be doable to stay in Lorne 2 nights and do the round trip to Apostles and Otway back to Lorne. We could then still do a different trip back to Melbourne through the countryside. I am just checking to see if this is an OK plan. Thanks! P.S We just found out there is a surfing competition in Bells Beach. Now we are hoping we can check that out driving down to Lorne. Concerned about traffic situation. Also concerned that if it looks fun, we may never make it to Apostles!

olivetta Mar 25th, 2010 02:37 AM

It is not hard to drive from Lorne to Port Campbell where the Apostles are situated. So, 2 nights in Lorne would be OK instead of packing up each night. Plenty to do in that area - forest and beach.
There will be lots of traffic if Bells Beach competition is on.
Check that you have accommodation booked for your stay.

Roadster Mar 25th, 2010 12:45 PM

For our 2 nights in Melbourne, should I drop off rental car at airport after our drive and taxi to town and back to airport for our flight out at 6:00 AM or keep the car and drive to airport. Our flight is so early to get a car back! Don't know it it's easier not deal with it and do the taxi.

Melnq8 Mar 25th, 2010 07:28 PM

Does your Melbourne hotel offer an airport shuttle service?

DownUnder Mar 25th, 2010 07:54 PM

You should be able to drop your car off at a rental agency in the CBD (downtown)and save yourself a taxi ride from the airport. You won't need your car to get around Melbourne.
A taxi to the airport for a 6.00am flight would charge night rates and would cost approx. $A60. The airport is about 20-30 mins. from the CBD and it would be cheaper using a taxi than keeping the car unecessarily. Parking in the CBD is expensive.
www.wotif.com is a good site for hotels for next month. The Rendezvous on Flinders is in an excellent position with a short stroll to all the restaurants on Southbank. The Lindrum is another good one and is close to all the very good restaurants on Flinders Lane, but honestly there are good restaurants everywhere so you can't go wrong. Hope this helps.

ajr86 Mar 26th, 2010 10:11 PM

Hi Roadster,

I would definately spend as much time as you can on the great ocean road. Lorne and apollo bay are two great towns to stay in. I stayed in apollo bay a few nights as there is so much to see around there.

Stayed at www.theinternational.info/ Great value accommodation and the staff will tell you all you need to know re the best places to visit.

If only 2 nights I would either stay one night in lorne and one in apollo bay. If you dont want to move i would chose apollo bay as it closer to everything.

ajr86 Mar 26th, 2010 10:42 PM

Fo restaurants in melbourne I would take this guys advice as he really loves his food!

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...0217-o9xt.html

He is famous in melbourne due to his appearance on master chef.