Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Great Ocean Road (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/great-ocean-road-443627/)

stevew Jun 19th, 2004 06:19 AM

Great Ocean Road

Greetings

After a few days in Darwin we are taking a red eye flight into Melbourne (arrive 5:30am) and would like to get an early start on the Great Ocean Highway. We would like to take 2 days on the drive, returning back into Melbourne the second night. Looking for advice on how far we can drive comfortably with a lot of stops to see the sites along the way. Tips on where to overnight would also be most welcome. We don't want to push as we also know we will be somewhat lagged from our late flight in from Darwin.

Cheers

Steve and Andrea

scurry Jun 19th, 2004 10:14 AM

You could easily make it to Warnambool or Port Fairy.

We spent the night in Apollo Bay and Pt. Fairy.

On a different visit, we also spent nights in Torquay and Warnambool, but wouldn't recommend them to you.

If you do a search for "great ocean road" on this message board, you'll find heaps of good information.

stevew Jun 19th, 2004 05:44 PM

Thanks Scurry, we will be reading as many of the threads as possible. We have never received bad advice here:)

Cheers

shandy Jun 19th, 2004 10:31 PM

I agree that Warrnambool would be a good spot to spend the night and then head back the next day. If the jet lag is really catching up with you, consider driving inland to Warrnambool. This is much faster as there are no windy roads to cope with and you make good timing. You could then spend the rest of the afternoon looking at Warrnambool itself and pop down to see 12 Apostles, Loch Ard gorge etc or Port Fairy all of which are quite close. After a good night's sleep you could then head off early the next morning and you would have plenty of time to get all the way back to Melbourne with time to make various stops along the Ocean Road itself. Just to let you know, a bit inland from Apollo Bay there is a new attraction called the Otway
Fly. I went along to it a couple of months ago and was quite impressed. It is a tree top walk through the rainforest area. They advertise it as the longest and highest one in the world. See www.otwayfly.com

ishki Jun 21st, 2004 10:06 PM

When I drive the Great Ocean Road, I always like to stop for lunch or a drink at the Wye River pub which is between Lorne and Apollo Bay. The views are second to none and if you are lucky the resident kookaburra will fly in to be fed the the pub owner. Enjoy! By the way, the pub also goes by the name of The Rookery Nook.

Clifton Jun 22nd, 2004 08:37 AM

Wow, I'm sorry we missed the Otway Fly. That sounds like fun.

Timing on the drive depends a lot on how long you might take at various sites. We didn't make it as far as Warrnambool, because we stopped in Otway Park (watch for the Koalas napping in the trees overhead) and I wanted to photograph the 12 Apostles in evening and morning. Nice walks right around there. Climbed down into the Loch Ard gorge and walked to the blowhole. Had to stop and watch an echidna poking around for his lunch. A really enjoyable drive.