Search

Great Barrier Reef trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Barrier Reef trip

I have done lots of reading online trying to decide on a trip to a reef or island with my husband. I keep getting confused! I want to try snorkeling for the first time, but my husband is content to do other activities which don't require getting wet! I saw a video of Green Island and it looked beautiful. I like the idea of being on an island and getting in the water from there, rather than from a pontoon. We will be staying 4 nights in Cairns. I have read some rather negative reports about Green Island, but have also read about trips that go there and on to a reef. Does anyone have any recent information about Green Island? Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Sorry I can't provide recent information on Green Island, as it's been about 28 years since we stayed on the island. At that time I remember the snorkeling being pretty good. One downside, which I believe still applies, was that it was open to daytrippers, making it more crowded than I would have liked.

Have you looked into Heron Island, on the southern end of the reef? Like Green Island, it's a beautiful, small, coral cay with one resort. But Heron is not open to daytrippers and the snorkeling and diving are excellent. Very relaxing, too. We've been multiple times and would love to go back. Lady Eliot Island is another possibility.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:31 AM

There are tour boats that do out daily to various locations to snorkel from Cairns. I suggest you go on a boat of 35-40 ft.that accommodates 15-16 guests max. even if you pay extra for a 7-8 hour day on the water is very unpleasant with 24-25 guests on that size or even a 45 ft. boat. We went out twice 7-8 years ago for $80 USD/person but now it wouldf likely be $110+/-. Cairns is intersting though a small town but lots of pubs to eat at that were not that expensive. We also took a 8-9 hour tour from Cairns going about 75 miles to some interesting sites for a reasonanle price.
Enjoy.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 04:16 PM

My best snorkelling experience in Cairns was on a cruise... they take you to all the most amazing reefs in the area, it's so beautiful. We went to Green Island once during the dry season (which is when most people go I believe) and it was quite crowded, as someone mentioned above! It depends what you prefer, I do enjoy having some more privacy though
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Sorry, Marsh, not really great snorkelling off Green Island itself. But, Ocean Free sails to Pinnacle Reef which is much better, just of Green Island, takes only 35 passenger, and will drop you over at Green Island Beach to see and walk around the small cay with rainforest. www.oceanfree.com.au

However, that's snorkelling off a boat, and you say you'd prefer to enter water from a beach - you can do this at Michaelmas Cay with Ocean Spirit, www.oceanspirit.com.au and both Sea Star and Passions of Paradise spend part of the day at Michaelmas and the rest at outer reef sites, where you would need to enter water from boat.

I think the trip you've discovered which goes to both Green Island and the outer reef is Great Adventures which takes a large amount of people and snorkelling is off pontoon.

Stan Kase, do you remember the name of the boat which takes only 24 passengers out of Cairns, unless its Falla I don't think it exists now.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 03:32 AM

March; No I do not remember the name, but we did NOT go to Green Island but to several other places one was Pinnacle Reef for the name sounds familar. We have been snorkeling for 40+years and off the boat snorkeling with a small group say 15-16 and a total staff includoing the Captain of 3 woth two staff in the water is normally very safe. They supply life vests or buy the b;low-up type for $40+/- so they stay out of your way and relay. Sometimes off the beach is a pain if there are a number of rocks upon entry. You will not get to snorkel near the reef again or in the near future so even if a small group trip cost $50/person more it is worth it. With 35 we found ourselves sometimes not bumping into fish whih would have been great but 2 other snorkelers which is not fun. Consider the cost benefit.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 12:26 AM

Well, Stan I've been booking reef tours out of Cairns and Port Douglas for guests for nearly 20 years, and I wish I knew of a outer reef trip which charges only $50 pp. The norm is about 3 times that amount these days (including lunch and morning and afternoon refreshments) as well as reef environmental tax.

BTW, Michaelmas Cay is a pure sand cay, there are no rocks and a short distance (depending on tide) to snorkel over pure sand underwater to edge of Michaelmas Reef, particularly noted for its giant clams.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Pat; There is no need to be challenging. Fir starters it was 7-8 years ago when the USD was worth almost 40% more than the AU dollar and I was quoting in US Dollars. I fully realize we are at parity so it may be qa good deal more but our travel agent who planned our Fiji, NZ and AU trip overall was getting rates 25% less than posted retail rates for us. His firm of 9 offices I suppose i AU had some influence with a number of vendors.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM

Hi, Marsh

You can't go far wrong taking Pat's advice. She lives there, has tried most of them, has current (meaning up to date) information and won't lead you astray. Boats are changing all the time. I've used her suggestions a number of occasions on my regular trips to Cairns and the Reef.

I recall snorkelling off Green Island, many, many years ago, (pre-Pat!) was pretty poor - OK if you've seen nothing else, but I wouldn't bother again.

SeaStar, out of Cairns, a smaller boat, was a great day. Michaelmas Cay is pretty cool also.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Good idea to use AUD when quoting prices in Australia.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Seconding Margo's endorsement of Pat's advice.

When I was a youngster the reef around Green Island was great. Two things have mitigated against its remaining so: some weather events but mostly too many tourists who are not good swimmers and rest with their feet on the coral. If you are not a good swimmer, wear a buoyancy vest.

Stan, what was good about your advice is that one should consider if the the cheaper, larger excursion gives better value for money; given that you'll not be back for some time, if ever. However you did not state in your post that it was US dollars although you did show that the time frame would make the costs well out of date.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:48 AM

Sorry I am not current on current on conversion. I thought today AU and US was at about parity.
About number of people on a boat we just lost 27 people of Long Island, NJ in the 4th of July fire works. It was a 39 ft. boat, too many many for the boat but the real cause of all 27 deaths, 2 children I believe yet to be recovered in the boat still underwater, was cross wakes of this boat and others. The area was not rough but too many boats (often the case at good snorkel sights) and the boat carried a number of people above the "legal" limit for that size boat but because it was a private boat the law is unclear-not the same as licensed snorkel boards.
Again I go back to the point that if I come so far and spend so much what is an extra 50AU a day to go on a 35 ft. boat with 12-14 people.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 05:30 PM

StanKase on Jul 9, 12 at 10:48pm
'Again I go back to the point that if I come so far and spend so much what is an extra 50AU a day to go on a 35 ft. boat with 12-14 people."

I don't think anyone was arguing with you on this and I was certainly endorsing this sentiment.

"Sorry I am not current on current on conversion. I thought today AU and US was at about parity."

Yes but if you think that is relevant to your posting of a $80/110 fare you are way off beam. (pun intended)
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:02 PM

I enjoyed Green Island, mostly the crocodile park they have there, although, I am not really a fan of wildlife in captivity. To see the size of Casius was fantastic and he looks well looked after despite the apparent small size of his enclosure.

For suggestions on Great Barrier Reef Tours, try the official Australian government site on reputable tour operators:

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/