What Do you Think of My Itin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I've been working on our Itin for Austrailia beginning Feb 1 and departing on 18 March. I've gotten lots of advice and suggestions and would love comments on our latest thinking.

We enjoy driving and scenery, hiking (moderate hikes) museums hanging around cafes and people watching, and good food. We want to try and stay away from the hottest parts of Australia during our visit, but realize we will have some pretty hot weather. We travel at a slow pace and no longer feel the need to go go go.

So far we have booked an apt in Sydney for our last week and have a home exchange on the Gold Coast for a week. We plan to day trips from that area.

Draft ITIN

Arrive Sydney and fly to Tasmania. Spend 13 nights in Tasmania.

fly to Adelaide

3 nights in Adelaide.

Kangaroo Island - 2 nights Rtn to mainland and drive to Melbourne.

Stay at 2 locations on the GOR (5 nites)

Arrive Melbourne -4 nights Melbourne

Fly to Brisbane, pick up car and go to home exchange on Gold Coast. 7 nights there with day trips

Fly to Sydney, pick up car and go to blue Mts-2 nights

Drive to Canberra. 3 nights Canberra.

Drive to Sydney and Rtn car. Stay in apt in Sydney

Your thoughts? Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2016, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good to me, you have a variety & flexibility to move around as the mood strikes you.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your overall itinerary looks very well thought out yestravel.

I'm planning on Tassie for November this year, so will advise further after then.

In Adelaide I'd stay in the city or perhaps beachside at Glenelg. There's a tram running between them. The central market is fabulous for food of many types. There's several nearby wine regions. Mclaren Vale is one.

On Kangaroo island try the south Australian whiting, a sweet white fleshed fish. Freshly caught and barbecued OMG.

Robe is an easy days drive from Adelaide, a town with history from the 1800's and the best southern rock lobster. Port Fairy is picturesque. Mt Gambier has a bottomless blue lake that is stunning and an easy walk surrounds it. See how many apostles are left (11 maybe) Apollo Bay, Lorne... I could go on, there's lots of great places along the coast from Adelaide to Melbourne, and not a lot that suit day trips. FWIW, I'd be on the road by about 9 am, stop for lunch somewhere, and arrive at the next destination by 2 or 3 pm, check in and then explore the local area. This allows for stops along the way, photos, coffee etc. Next day rinse and repeat.

There are way too many things to recommend in Melbourne, I'm happy to refine any ideas you have.

You can fly direct to OOL (Gold Coast) from Melbourne. If you do fly into Brisbane, there is a train to the GC direct from the airport. You might find car hire cheaper here on the GC. How exciting you have a home exchange, what suburb ? There's loads of day trips to enjoy - superb beaches to ancient rainforests. Happy to make further suggestions.

The rest - Sydney and Canberra will work fine too.
Well done.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bokhara and sartoric. I appreciate all your suggestions, satoric. It would be nice to meet both of you during our travels. Maybe the new Fodors owners will give us a private messaging. If not I'm on TA and Bokhara I think you are too?

The home exchange on the Gold Coast is described as "in the enclave of Paradise Waters." The map shows it on Macintosh Island on Admiralty dr. Not sure it's a place I would pick to stay, but as a home exchange it should be fine, do you know the area?

In what timeframe do you think I need to book places to stay? Tasmania is the first two weeks Feb.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Yestravel,
Love to meet you while you're here, drop me a PM on TA.

If the dates work, we might be able to arrange something on the GC. Stormbird is up there too & it would be good to catch up with her & Sartoric.

Where are you staying in Sydney?

Re booking ahead - most holiday places on the mainland should be ok, with school & summer holidays over by the beginning of February.

I have a feeling Tasmania might be busier, as it's cooler than the northern areas ( and smaller). You'll have seen recommendations here & in TA for February / March visitors wanting to avoid the heat & humidity of the northern States, to go to Tasmania.
So, if you have places you particularly want to stay, you may as well book them ahead. See if you can get cancellable, in case you do want to change.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 03:39 PM

Paradise Waters is a luxury enclave, I know it very well. It's about 5 km away from where I live. Should be a great spot for you, the tram is close by which gets you to Broadbeach, Surfers etc. some nice walks too, about 15 minutes walk to the beach.
Just across the highway is Tedder Ave, used to be very trendy and a great place to people watch. Lots of restaurants there.

Macintosh island is the pit lane area for the V8 supercar races held each October, you might find some utube footage.

Agree with Bokhara on the bookings timing.

I'll look for you on TA
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Great, thanks for the info on the home exchange.

I'm dl on TA.

Will check in in Dec or so and see what we can arrange re GTG.
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 07:00 PM

Nearer the time I'm happy to give you ideas for Melbourne. The Melbourne food and wine festival should be on whilst you are here.
Do you need accommodation ideas?
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Northie, Yes, would appreciate accommodation suggestions. Prefer smaller hotels.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 10:55 AM

Your itinerary appears to be shaping up nicely. You're taking sufficient time to see things. I look forward to hearing about the trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Margo. Couldn't have done it without everyone's help.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 03:18 AM

Hi yestravel, thanks for your post on my forum, just some thoughts for you.
You will need more than 2 nights from Adelaide to Melbourne. Guessing you are renting a car in Adelaide and taking it on the ferry to KI And returning it to Melbourne. Chances are you wont need the car in Melbourne as trams, trains are excellent to get around so return it as soon as you get there.
You will get off the KI ferry at Pt Jervios and drive down the Coorong - nice drive.
As mentioned Robe is an old fishing settlement, very busy through summer. Your timing will be just out of school holidays but would be prudent to book accomodation if you choose to stay there. We live an hour from Robe and prefer Beachport as its much quieter and a lovely small coastal town. Worth heading inland to Coonawarra especially if you enjoy red wine. If you get there get to the Naracoorte world heritage caves ( our home town but trying not to be bias). Very good tours of up to 3 caves. You could base yourself at Penola, Naracoorte or Mt Gambier for at least a night to fit in the caves, Coonawarra and the Mt Gambier Blue lake in 1 night 2 days. If you are not into wine you will save time and the drive is nice. In Coonawarra as most wine areas in Australia tasting is free at all cellar doors and there are dozens of them.
You are still at least 2 nights from Melbourne if (and you should) drive the great ocean road. Lovely places to stay - Apollo Bay and perhaps Lorne. The drive is stunning but needs time especially that time of year as it will still be busy.
Canberra ??? Hmmm. Gotta say there are other places I would rather go but...you may have family there. Not saying in the least Tasmania does not deserve 13 days and you may be committed but you are getting about the place, maybe less in Tassie, skip Canberra and head for Alice Spings for a bit of red dirt. Maybe you have been there. Great fun planning and you are getting some good ideas on the forum. Cheers.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 03:59 PM

Just a bit on your itinerary and realize you have gone over lots of posts on your other forum titles which I haven't read all of them.
You seem to be going in all directions which seems a bit strange. Maybe you have people you need to see a certain times. As suggested in my post above I'm not sure whether you've been here before but if you fly Qantas you can use Brisbane, Sydney of Melbourne to fly into. Why would you not drive Meld- Adel after your time in Tassie and then 4 days in Melb. Then you could fly to Brisbane from Adel or take the train to Alice Springs ( which will be hot) then fly to the Gold Coast.
Sorry to confuse the issue.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Road master- thanks for all your comments.

To clarify or answer your comments:
This is our first visit to Australia.

We're using FF tixs so we could only get tixs into and out of Sydney. I would have preferred different entry and exit points, but could not get them.

We chose Cranbera? because folks said it has some nice museums which we always enjoy.

We picked Tasmania first since we hope it might be a bit cooler. We do not want to go to Alice Springs due to the potential for really hot weather. At this point we are open to reordering where we go. If you have suggestions for an order I would love to hear. We do have an apt for our last week in Sydney and a home exchange the end of Feb.

We are spending 4 nights in Melbourne and 5 nights driving the GOR. While we are into drinking wine, no longer find wine tours interesting so we don't go on them after doing many in various countries.
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 09:25 PM

YT, your order of travel is fine, and I suggest it's best to save the red centre and top end for a May - September visit.

With wineries in the Coonawarra region and most others in Australia you can stop at a cellar door for usually free no obligation tastings. No tour, just taste, possibly buy.

While I had a car I would take advantage of this
Old Jul 22nd, 2016, 02:31 AM

I'll leave you with your itinerary yestravel as you have been working with sardonic for a bit. I would still rethink the amount of time in Tassie and Canberra for a first time visitor.
Pity your not getting to see the Barrier reef even though it's stinger season while you are hear.
The Gold Coast is a tourist mecca..too many people and not a heck of a lot to do apart from Disney style theme parks and will be very humid. I realize you have a house sit there. Alice Springs will be hot but a very clear heat, worth experiencing but not likely this trip, put it on the bucket list.
Safe travels