Notices

Great Barrier Reef in February?

Mar 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Great Barrier Reef in February?

We are going on a cruise from Auckland to Perth and are spending a week in New Zealand before the cruise and a few nights on the west coast after the cruise. Despite it being the rainy seaon on the east coast of Australia, should we visit there anyway, as I don't think we will be in that part of the world again.
Mar 22nd, 2012, 07:32 PM

Just a suggestion but you could look at going to Ningaloo Reef on the north coast of Western Australia - near Exmouth. It is truly a beautiful spot and you access the reef straight off the beach.
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:05 AM

There is a great deal to enjoy in Western Australia, and I second the recommendation of the Ningaloo reef, which is stupendous and accessible from Coral Bay as well as Exmouth . Not sure what the weather will be like in February but when I was there in early November one year the the so called 'ocean breeze" made it surprising chilly unless we were a great many miles inland.

South of Perth in the Margaret River area and down to the coast at Augusta, Denmark and Albany the weather should be quite pleasant that time of year. In addition to the wineries, there is a lot of beautiful forest and bushland which is quite unlike the arid interior most of us think of when we think of Australia.

Take the train east of Perth to Kalgoorlie to see a totally different landscape and the jaw-dropping open pit mining and take in the history of the rough and tumble gold rush history. Go by ferry to Rottnest island and mingle with the locales who are grabbing a bit of beach time.

Whether it is worth the time and expense to travel across the continent to other destinations I think depends on if there are sights there you are very interested in seeing. We have spent about 25 weeks total in Australia over the last four years as our daughter lives there. All but 7 days of it have been spent in Western Australia, and we don't feel we've been short changed at all.
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:44 PM

In February, the east coast of Australia is hot and there are days of sunshine. I definitely suggest you visit the Great Barrier Reef if you get a chance. The reef is beautiful and being February the ocean will be warm to swim in. Perth is nice but can't compare. Try and visit Melbourne and Sydney if you get the chance too.

Search this Thread