Notices

Great Barrier Reef

Mar 5th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Great Barrier Reef

Where is the best place to enjoy the reef from? So many choices…Hamilton Island Palm Cove Port Douglas? Want to stay in nice accommodations. I have heard the weather in April is better in the North. Thanks!
Mar 5th, 2016, 08:44 PM

The weather in April is better than February, but not as good as July to September.

Where you choose to stay depends on a lot of factors--what kind of 'vibe' you want, whether you will have a car, what you want to do, etc.

Personally, I like the ambiance of PD, it's access to the Reef, and the fact that I can stay there without a car if I so choose.
Mar 10th, 2016, 10:44 PM

Just returned from the Whitsunday Islands in Queensland. I usually visit in August or September. This time the water was not as clear as past visits. Keep in mind that November to May is singer (jellyfish) season and you will need to wear a singer suit in the water. I did see singers as we sailed around many of the islands.

I have stayed at Palm Cove and Hamilton Island. I prefer Palm Cove or Port Douglas. Easier to get flights in/out of Cairns than Hamilton Island. More things to see and do in the Cairns/Palm Cove/Port Douglas area. However, Hamilton Island is a bit more upscale than PC, smaller airport and more walkable.

Have fun!
Mar 12th, 2016, 10:37 PM

We liked Cairns...did a day trip to the Agincourt Reef which was good but I have done it now and probably won't get there again. Staying in Cairns meant there were other things to do and the Kuranda rail trip was awesome.

Search this Thread