Accommodation in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 08:14 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accommodation in Sydney

Hi,

I am looking for good serviced apartments in Sydney. We are a party of 5 adults and 1 child, so need to keep costs down, but also I think a serviced apartment will be more convenient for our group.

Key consideration for selection is the location. We would prefer to not have a car while in Sydney (is this even an option?). Therefore, looking for places that are close to ferry terminal as I think most of the time will be spent taking ferries to various points.

Regarding car - could we do without car for Sydney part of the stay? Given that my mom can only walk short distances, it would be rather inconvenient if hailing a cab is not something that can be done easily.

Please help!
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 08:51 PM

We just returned from Australia yesterday and we spent 5 days in Sydney. We stayed at the Meriton Serviced Apartment on Pitt Street. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We also had a washer/dryer, so we were able to wash our clothes while we were there. The Meriton provided laundry soap which was nice.

Meriton has several locations of serviced apartments.

We were fine w/o a car in Sydney. The city has great public transportation, so of it is free.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 09:30 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Thanks. Is this apartment just a short walk from the ferry starting point at Circular Quay or do we need to do some other form of transport to get there?
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 09:52 PM

This is down that end of town:

http://www.theyorkapartments.com.au

I am going purely on location - over the years I have known more than one family or acquaintance who were put up here by companies, but I am sure the apartments would have had a facelift or two since that time. But the location is not bad if you want to access the Rocks / Circular Quay area, especially by foot. They used to include homey features like CD players for people who were longer-term visitors.

You don't really need a car if you are in the city, but you could benefit from a travel pass for the ferries, trains and buses (http://www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/which/mymulti). Taxis are easy to find in the city, except on a Friday night. Taxis are also sort of pricey (http://www.taxifare.com.au), but I would always splurge on a taxi to take me to and from the airport - that's just me, but with a family, it might even be better value than the train.

Lavandula
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 02:42 PM

You can use Google Earth to look at the distances between place.

The Meriton Serviced Apartment on Pitt Street was too far for us to walk to the Circular Quay. We took the bus (bus 555 was free). We also had a weekly bus pass, so we could take any bus we wanted. Sometimes the 555 was too full.