Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   GOR- East or West? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/gor-east-or-west-555582/)

jacylou Aug 31st, 2005 08:36 AM

GOR- East or West?

We only have time to drive the GOR one way and will take the highway the other, to or from Melbourne. Is one drive nicer than the other. I am thinking going west would have you closer to the ocean. Does that make any difference? Thanks.

shandy Sep 1st, 2005 05:00 AM

It doesn't make a great deal of difference but I would say driving from Melbourne toward Adelaide is slightly ahead of driving the other way in terms of views.

jacylou Sep 1st, 2005 07:08 PM

Thanks for your reply, Shandy.
We will not be leaving the airport until noon. That is why I think we will drive the highway to Warrnambool in the afternoon and drive the GOR back to Melbourne the next day-or at least part way back. What do you think?

tropo Sep 1st, 2005 08:03 PM

Its a beautiful scenic drive, and I heard from someone ages ago, who said that, driving in one direction, is dangerous, due to the "wow" factor, where people take their eyes off the road, and nearly have head-on collisions, but I'm not sure which direction that was, east or west, perhaps someone else has heard of this, and can advise.

tropo Sep 1st, 2005 08:05 PM

I think driving from Victoria towards Sth.Australia direction maybe the best way, as you are closer to the cliff side parking areas. I have seen people driving from the other direction, and cut across to the same parking area, and almost have an accident.

Clifton Sep 2nd, 2005 02:34 PM

tropo makes a very good point. When heading away from Melbourne, the turnouts are much easier to access so the driver can share in the views.

someotherguy Sep 2nd, 2005 07:20 PM

The GOR and then the Grampians (north of Warrnambool) makes a better circuit than just heading back to Melbourne.

adeben Sep 2nd, 2005 09:48 PM

Hi jacylou: I drive the GOR regularly, with the latest trip being yesterday. You should be aware that the drive from Warrnambool to Peterborough is not an 'ocean' road: It is quite inland through farming country. At Port Campbell you enter the main part of the National Park wherein are located the Twelve Apostles etc. The road runs along the top of the cliffs but someway back so that there are not often extensive sea views while you are driving. If you are to really see the places along this part of the coast, you will need to stop often at the well-signposted highlights, and it will take you all day to reach Apollo Bay. At Apollo Bay, the 'real' GOR starts: this is the part of the GOR that always features in videos and photos, the bit that runs right at the ocean's edge, and it does that as far as Anglesea. After Anglesea, the road is more inland again with only occasional views of the ocean. On the Apollo Bay-Anglesea section there are a lot of places you will want to stop for a closer view, and it is once again about one day's worth back to Melbourne, the last 100k being by inland freeway. Much of the GOR between Apollo Bay and Anglesea has recently been upgraded in both surface and signage, and it is currently in excellent condition. The views as ever are sensational along this section, but I repeat that this is the only section that actually runs along the edge of the sea.

jacylou Sep 3rd, 2005 06:14 AM

Thanks to all for your great responses.
I think we will drive the GOR from Melbourne. My problem is that we won't get our car at the airport until noon. Realistically, where should I make a reservation for the first night?

adeben Sep 3rd, 2005 04:06 PM

Probably Lorne, a town of reasonable size with a lot of accommodation range.