Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   gold coast weather (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/gold-coast-weather-374006/)

tiffcoop Nov 5th, 2003 05:00 AM

gold coast weather

I'm planning my next holiday to the gold coast and was wondering when is the best time to go.I was told that september is windy and rainy, and november was a good time to go.I can only go between sept. and start of Dec.

Tiffany.

Lyndie Nov 5th, 2003 12:48 PM

We had 3 weeks late Aug early Sept this year, Sept may be the perfect time to go-it's spring and still nice and cool at night. December is hot and humid but if you like the heat then go then. Water temp is warmer in Dec for swimming etc. I'm not a great fan of Gold Coast-Whitsundays are glorious now!

Alan Nov 5th, 2003 02:03 PM

Hi, tiffcoop!

I'm not by any means a fan of the Gold Coast, but I have to admit that I don't think I have ever been there when the weather was less than perfect. My last visit, in an October, was the kind of weather you dream about; not that I got to enjoy it, because everyone in my party except myself was suffering from violent nausea after they ate some seafood at a nearby restaurant!

Anyway, I digress. I think you have something more pressing to worry about than the weather, and that is "Schoolies Week". The following is a paragraph I just copied two minutes ago from a net site (type "Schoolies Week" into Google and you'll get plenty more info), and I think you will agree that this is worth considering:
"Schoolies Week - from mid November and into December the Gold Coast and particularly Surfers Paradise is a mass of school graduates. The main mall is filled with 17 year olds all hours of the day, and a morning walk on the beach will involve stepping over people passed out from last night's fun. If you're under 20 it can be a lot of fun, but if you don't want to share your holiday with a bunch of excited (and often drunk) school leavers, give it a miss that time of year. If you're going to be heading that way, go further down the coast to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere."

Point made? Imagine, as well, the sounds from the rooms around you at your hotel!
Try and get out of there by the end of October!

tiffcoop Nov 5th, 2003 02:22 PM

forgot about schoolies...DEFINITELY don't want to be there then.I'm looking more towards the Sunshine Coast as I've been to Gold Coast heaps and always wanted to stay on the Sunshine Coast. Might look at late October.

Janese Nov 5th, 2003 03:25 PM

S.C gets Schoolies as well and because it is smaller than the G.C it is just as plaguesome. Who told you the G.C. was wet and windy in September? That is the dryest month in the year and everyone on the G.C would love it to be wet then - but it is not.

pat_woolford Nov 5th, 2003 05:00 PM

tiffcoop - how about Byron Bay - beautiful surfing beaches and glorious hinterland.

tiffcoop Nov 7th, 2003 04:32 AM

We will be driving from Adelaide going around the coast so we plan on staying a few nights in Byron Bay,love it there.Thinkind about Noosa being our final destination, although may go up to Bundaberg.This is really bad for an aussie not to know, but where does The Great Barrier reef start?
Tiffany.

bhuty Nov 11th, 2003 06:39 PM

go S.C and use that to get a bit more up north. Go to Hervy bay if you want, the coloured sands at rainbow beach and the beginnings of the reef near bundy will all be better than GC if you ahve been there enough time already. Avoid schoolies week no matter where you go on the coast

tanmanc Nov 12th, 2003 10:33 PM

Going after christmas on to new year. Will the school kids still be around then? Am bringing my two young kids aged 5 and 4, is GC a good idea for their vacation?

Janese Nov 12th, 2003 11:20 PM

Schoolies will be over then and so it will be mostly families. There is plenty to do and see for the little ones from Currumbin Bird Sanctuary to Water World and Sea World - they are a bit young for Dreamworld unless you have a couple of young dare devils on your hands - but all is geared to family anyway. There is absolutely no reason why you should not have a terrific time on the G. C.