Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Gifts for Australian friends (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/gifts-for-australian-friends-600824/)

mirsy Mar 20th, 2006 09:36 AM

Gifts for Australian friends

We will be going to OZ in early May and will be staying with friends in Sydney for 11 days. What would be good gifts for them from the US? They are two couples both in their early 60's with lots of children and grandchildren so something fun or useful for the house would be great...something that they can't get in OZ.

Thanks in advance.

Melnq8 Mar 20th, 2006 03:25 PM

I like to give regional cookbooks - when I lived in Texas and traveled to London, I took along a copy of my favorite Tex-Mex cookbook - my friend loved it. I also included a bottle of spicy Texas BBQ sauce and had a carry on full of tortilla chips (at her request).

I now give out my favorite cookbook from my home state of Colorado and I include a set of American measuring cups and measuring spoons if the person I'm giving it to lives outside the US.

The Junior League publishes some great regional cookbooks in many areas throughout the US and they're full of local flavor.

jjah Mar 20th, 2006 11:52 PM

Dear Mirsy,
What a lovely thoughtful idea. Just a note of caution though, Australian customs are INCREDIBLY strict about what you can bring in. You may want to check on their website before you buy anything unless its something simple like clothing or books. For kids, Gap clothing isn't available (I don't think) yet in Australia and that is what I always brought back. Also Osh Kosh is quite cheap in the States, but expensive in Australia so thats also a nice gift. As for the adults, nothing electrical it wont work in Australia. I lived in Maryland and used to bring back my favourite and incredibly unusual pottery that was made locally that my friends loved. What about something that is made around your area. Where are you coming from?
Hope you have a great vacation.

mirsy Mar 21st, 2006 06:08 AM

Thanks for the cookbook idea...I'm coming from Atlanta, GA and we have some great regional cookbooks. I wouldn't have thought about the measuring cups and spoons.

Fallrats Mar 21st, 2006 10:39 AM

We take, at our OZ families'request, candy in particular Baby Ruths (the box from Costco), BBQ sauce, Libby's pumpkin pie. Also, if you have a "local" Monopoly game board - most places do now, that might be fun. Almost everyone knows how to play Monopoly. Trivets depicting your area would also great and useful.

Tim_and_Liz Mar 21st, 2006 11:12 AM

We brought packets of Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix, Twizzlers, Gardettos, Cinnamon Toast Crunch and other cereals. We had no problem at customs. You can't bring through anything fresh, or anything with over 10% egg or dairy. No beef jerky or anything like that either.

debby_fish Mar 21st, 2006 01:46 PM

If you are purchasing items for kids or grandkids, one option are the Klutz books. The books are craft type books that include how to make something and they usually include the components to make the item.

You can purchase them at toy or craft stores. The books are fun and they include numerous activities and/or games for boys and girls, such as making friendship bracelets, card games/tricks, lego lovers, pipecleaner animals, play dough ideas, science experiments, how to draw, watercolors etc.

I have purchased them in the past for my children and for gifts when I travel and they are a hit with kids.

bhuty Mar 21st, 2006 03:50 PM

we get gap here but its expensive so gap is cool if you're confident in buying clothes for others

food stuffs are where its at.

We came back from the states with heaps of lollies and stuff (reeces are my fav) as well as that powder you mix with a bucket load of sugar to make a drink 9 I don;t like it thats why I can;t remember it).

We declare these things when we go thru customs and sometimes they say "pffft, we don't care about that" and sometimes they want to check it out and are careful in their checking.

but yeah ditto comment on beaf jerky etc.

You'd want to be sure before bringing a cookbook.

Since you are looking for something for that can be used in the home then a cool board game is alright (check we don't have it here) but even just something to look at that helps to make a home from your local region I'm sure would be appreciated as it becomes a talking point "oh thats nice where'd you get that from..." (careful of customs)

Melnq8 Mar 22nd, 2006 03:08 AM

bhuty -

Are you referring to Kool-Aid?

jjah Mar 22nd, 2006 05:43 AM

Bhuty, do you really get GAP for kids? I thought it was only adults? if you do, I am going to kill my sister who swears that I just HAVE to send her GAP kids clothing from here in the UK, because Australia doesn't have it. For her sake, you'd better say no....... Seriously, she is dead.