Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Gift Ideas for Students (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/gift-ideas-for-students-304617/)

mmsva Apr 7th, 2003 12:27 PM

Gift Ideas for Students

I’m a schoolteacher who is visiting Melbourne and Sydney. I want to bring back something for my kids, but I have over 100 students. Does anyone have any ideas of something that is authentically Australian, easy to carry back and not expensive? I was thinking maybe a food item.<BR><BR>Thank you!<BR>

margo_oz Apr 7th, 2003 12:58 PM

You could try individually wrapped Violet Crumbles, honeycomb with chocolate covering. Available in supermarkets. But may be a bit bulky for 100.

KayF Apr 8th, 2003 02:36 AM

You could buy a box of Cadburys Favourites which are bite-size individually wrapped chocolates, like Crunchie, Time Out, Cherry Ripe. Yum!<BR>What about a mouse mat with a kangaroo or koala on it?<BR>You can buy Yowees in the supermarket - it's a small chocolate egg with a 'surprise' inside - a little animal or bird you put together. Might be difficult to get 100 very breakable chocolate eggs back home, but the kids would love them!<BR>Kay

Ron_Dee Apr 8th, 2003 12:28 PM

How about Australian Stamps or maybe stickers of Australian Animals. I've also bought my UK little friends Chocolate Australian Coins home ...usually one large coin covered in gold foil but looking like Australian Currency. This may be a little expensive though and pretty heavy times 100. What about little Australian Flags? I'm sure the chiildren would be thrilled to get anything at all. Alternatively why not host &quot;An Australia Day&quot; on your return and make some truly Australian food like Lamingtons (little cakes covered in chocolate and coconut), Pavlovas, Damper etc. and take home some bags of Australian sweets as well for the children to sample. I'm sure someone here could suggest recipes or maybe you could buy a book on holiday. Mad suggestions I know but fun all the same.

OneWanderingJew Apr 8th, 2003 02:42 PM

Hi! <BR>I'm also a teacher and brought back packages of Tim Tams. They're a tasty chocolate covered biscuit/cookie, inexpensive and easy to carry. You can get them everywhere including the airport. I bought mine in a supermarket for much less.<BR><BR>The one drawback to buying a couple of packages of Tim Tams is that you will want to eat them yourself! I'm kind of glad they don't sell them around here, I'd be as big as a house from eating them all day long ;-)<BR><BR>Debbie<BR><BR>PS I didn't want to bring back Cadbury Crunchies as they are sold lots of places besides Australia...ie Canada, the UK, and I've even seen them in some specialty stores here in Atlanta.

ann2 Apr 8th, 2003 06:54 PM

I don't know what age your students are. Little things we bought which may be suitable - a key chain from the Bridge Climb store, little koala bears which cling to something eg a desk lamp arm ( I think we got these at the covered market near china town in Sydney) also at that same market there are choices of note pads etc with scenes of the harbour bridge etc. We found kangaroo bookmarks of leather.