Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Getting Around within Thailand?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/getting-around-within-thailand-14912/)

Leah Jun 11th, 1997 03:06 AM

Getting Around within Thailand??

My friend and I are going to Thailand for three weeks in August, flying into Bankok. From there, are there trains or buses or what to get to other destinattions within the country? Is it advisable to rent a car?? Any suggesttions on places to visit and how to get there?? Thanks!

Eva Grodberg Jul 1st, 1997 12:31 PM

Any good travel guide - Lonely Planet, Moon, Fodors
(I guess) lists all of the options for traveling to particular destinations in Thailand - plane, bus
and train. Thai Air has a combo package for 4+ flights to places like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phuket and other tourism areas--check out their
site.

The same guides repeatedly mention how frightening
it is to drive in Thailand because drivers pass on turns, and drive on the left side of the road.

R.T. Louis-Ferdinand Jul 19th, 1997 08:56 PM

We didn't drive in Thailand and I'm glad we didn't. The problem with some of the long distance cab drivers is that they believe they are immortal,
We flew via Thai air and would do it again.
We stayed in Bangkok, ChangMai and visited ChangRai. We took a long distance cab from Chang Mai to Chang Rai. I would not return to Chang Rai but I'd return to Chang Mai and Bangkok if I could.
I enjoyed an hour long elephant ride through the jungle in Chang Mai which was one of the gems of my experience there. Take a Tut-Tut ride in Chang Mai. Negotiate the price "up front" but it's a unique experience.
Take a ride on the Chaoprya river (my spelling of the name is probably not correct) from Bangkok to Ayutaya (a former capital) to see the scenery along the river (including a view of the Royal Barge). Ayuttaya was not particularly remarkable except for historical reasons but the ride was very worthwhile.
There is a restaurant partially set over the river which is billed as the world's largest restaurant. (Waiters get around on roller skates) . Certainly don't miss the Palace grounds in Bangkok!
It will be a bit warm in Bangkok in August but enjoy your trip!

KURT Jul 29th, 1997 01:30 PM

LAST YEAR I MADE A FANTASTIC TRIP THROUGH SOUTHEASTASIA. IN THAILAND I USED FROM BANGKOK TO CHIANG MAI AND FROM NONKAY TO BANGKOK THE TRAIN, WHICH IS CLEAN, SAFE AND QUICK. THERE ARE DAILY TRAINS. RESERVATION IS POSSIBLE. MUCH SAFER THAN BUSES. VERY NICES VIEWS. HAVE A NICE TRIP.

David Weis Aug 9th, 1997 05:46 AM

Hi, I would like to know what to eat in Thailand and where to eat it. Also i would like to know if i should buy electronics from street markets??

Seeya
Dave

Malin Aug 23rd, 1997 03:18 AM

If you arrive in Bangkok, it's very easy. Khao San Road in the Banglampoo area is where you get everything you need; tickets, food, accomodation, company, visas etc. I recommend going by train, although the bus is OK and cheaper, especially those run by the government.These do not depart directly from Khao San, but it is usually worth the trip to one of the two busstations in the city.

Marge Sep 1st, 1997 10:48 AM

We took the boat, then the bus to chang Mai. There are wonderful boat trips to many places from Bangkok. Great day trips. We took one just around Bangkok then one up river and back with great stops.