GBR and Motion Sickness

Aug 11th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Patrice

GBR and Motion Sickness

Hi,

I will be staying in Palm Cove the first week of Novemeber and want to take a snorkel trip to the great barrier reef, however I am prone to motion sickness. I plan on taking motion sickness medicine, but it does not always completely work for me on boats and I usually end up still feeling a little queasy. Is the boat ride out rough? Does anyone have any suggestions for particular tours that may be better than others for this? I had thought about going to Green Island for a day so that the time on a boat would be reduced, but from messages on this board, it does not sound like it is worth a trip there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Aug 11th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Debbie

Hi--
I went out on the reef w/Wavelength from Pt. Douglas a couple of weeks ago and the day I went was rough! I took a seasick med. that the crew gave out once on board and it worked perfectly for me (I took another pill on the way back too)! I was relieved b/c I've gotten sick in the past even after taking Dramamine and Bonine has knocked me out on other occasions. Whatever they gave us, worked like a charm. Not one person was sick!

Debbie

Aug 11th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Patrice

Debbie,

Thanks for the info. Do you know what it was they gave you?

Thanks!

Aug 11th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Liz

It was probably Kwells - motion sickness pills which can be bought over the counter at any Chemist in Australia for about $8 Aust.
I am the world's worst with sea-sickness and I have never been sick when I used them. Was sick with the patches though and other stuff.

Aug 11th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Lucy

Hi Patrice I 2nd the recommendation for Qwells! I grew up in Cairns & without fail would always be very ill on boat trips when I didn't take them & never was sick when I did take them - no nasty side effects at all. They also worked a treat for car sickness as well.
Cheers!

Aug 11th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Debbie

It wasn't Kwells, it was something that (I think) started w/an "A". Wish I could remember the name, sorry!

I've gotten queasy w/the patch too, but this stuff was great! The crew gave the pills out for free, by the way.

Aug 11th, 2002, 06:48 PM
liz

The letter A could indicate that they were some sort of atropine type tablet. I think most of the motion sickness medication has a bit of that in it anyway.
You could always email the tour people's site and ask them