Gardens in October in New Zealand

Feb 7th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster
Gardens in October in New Zealand

If I plan my trip to New Zealand between 6th and 26th October, what can I expect to be flowering in the gardens and countryside? Are there any gardens not to miss, as I'm a bit of a garden fanatic? Also is there any particular wildlife to look out for at this time of year? Thanks, Maria
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Hi THere

Not that I am in any way green fingered, but I remember from my days of living in Dunedin that the Botanical gardend looked great in spring. They have a rhododendron festival there at the end of October.

There are botanical gardens in most towns and cities. Though they are of varying quality. Hopefully someone with a greater level of knowledge can expand upon this thread.

Wildlife in New Zealand is principally limited to birds and coastal mammals. If you are in Dunedin for instance, penguin spotting on the Otago peninsula is well worth it.

NZ has no native land mammals other than a couple of breeds of bat. we do of course have heaps of introduced mammals, some more welcome than others.

As far as gardens go, the following link has many good leads. IT is the 100% pure NZ site (

Hope this helps a little
Feb 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I'd definitely recommend visiting the public gardens in Hamilton (near Rotorua) - sorry, don't know their official name. It's a big area with lots of different plantings and well worth visiting. There's a nice cafe overlooking a lake.
Feb 8th, 2006, 06:50 PM
hi Maria

Kiwi_acct is right !! Rhododendron is themain botanical attraction

Wildlife: mind u the albatross colony (world's only on shore) is closed in October.
KAIKOURA is the place to see marine mammals & birds - Dusky-Dolphins, whales albatrosses etc'
NUGGET POINT is another good place + do the CATLINS (from some bays u have a chance of seeing Hector dolphins)

A chance to see a real wild Kiwi? on Stewart Island

enjoy it

Search this Thread