Best Method of travelling in Australia

Old Mar 13th, 1997, 11:26 AM
Valerie Barron

Best Method of travelling in Australia

I am off to Australia in august for three weeks.
We plan to take the following route. Sydney - Brisbane -
Cairns - Melbourne - Adelaide - Alice Springs -
Darwin - Perth.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best
method of travel between these places.
We plan to spend approx. 3 days in each place.
Thanks in advance
V.

Old Mar 17th, 1997, 06:20 PM
Gary

In order to achieve 3 days in each destination you will have to do a lot of air travel or spend many nights in coaches & trains.
Typical coach travel times between Melbourne / Adelaide and Melbourne / Sydney are approximately 8.5 and 11 hours respectively.
Trains generally take a few hours longer however are more comfortable if you can get a sleeper.
An excellent train journey exists between Adelaide and Alice Springs using the Ghan Railway.
I would recommend biasing the duration of your trip to the Northern States as Melbourne and Adelaide usually experience poor weather in August.

Old Mar 18th, 1997, 03:02 PM
Kerry

Valerie, Phew, I'm exhausted just reading your travel plans. I think you are trying to see too much in three weeks and will spend most of your time in transit between each city. Just consider would you try and see New York, Florida, Chicago, Texas, Arizona, California and Washington State in three weeks because the distances you are talking about are roughly the same. I suggest you pick one area eg. the east coast Sydney, Brisbane, Noosa, Cairns and Great Barrier Reef. Weather in Great Barrier Reef area would be great that time of year. Try to see too much and all you really see is the airport terminal, train station or coach stop. Happy travelling.

Old Mar 19th, 1997, 12:44 AM
julia

The distances between the places you want to visit are mostly quite long (e.g. Brisbane to
Cairns is about a 24hr bus trip - approx.).

If money is no option, I'd definitely go with flying otherwise you'll spend half your time
just trying to get somewhere.

However if you're not concerned about the length of time it takes to go by bus or train
(and train is probably the best option here) you will see a lot of beautiful scenery along the
way.

Whatever you decide...have a great trip!

Old Mar 19th, 1997, 12:45 AM
julia

The distances between the places you want to visit are mostly quite long (e.g. Brisbane to
Cairns is about a 24hr bus trip - approx.).

If money is no option, I'd definitely go with flying otherwise you'll spend half your time
just trying to get somewhere.

However if you're not concerned about the length of time it takes to go by bus or train
(and train is probably the best option here) you will see a lot of beautiful scenery along the
way.

Whatever you decide...have a great trip!

Old Mar 27th, 1997, 11:02 PM
Noel

You're pretty ambitious to cover so much territory; Australia is as big as the continental US. Flying is the only way you'll be able to do it. Not cheap, but Qantas and Ansett have passes available for international travellers which are cheaper than posted fares and quite flexible.