Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Fraser Island- Self Drive or Tours (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/fraser-island-self-drive-or-tours-753437/)

AmanteDelLimoncello Dec 15th, 2007 04:21 PM

Fraser Island- Self Drive or Tours

We have visited Fraser Island on a day tour from the Sunshine Coast in the past and have decided to return next June for 3 nights.Would day tours on the island or hire a 4WD be better. No experience with 4Wd, some people say this is no problem, would like to hear anyone who has experienced either tours or self drive, also any accommodation recomendations for Fraser island.

stormbird Dec 19th, 2007 11:03 PM

If you have no 4WD experience then I don't think I would make Fraser Island my first.

I think day tours would be a much wiser bet for you.

pat_woolford Dec 20th, 2007 12:27 AM

I have, stormbird, and it can be a bit hairy. Especially when the tide comes in faster than expected and suddenly you find you're looking at water on the wrong side of the vehicle. Still, many survive it, but in the interests of reducing the proliferation of 4WD's on Fraser Island, I'd definitely recommend day tour(s).

Sorry, Amante, can't give any up to date info on accommodation, last time we were there we camped.

di2315 Dec 20th, 2007 01:25 AM

I would second Pats comments - we set off on a 4WD tour, and the first thing our driver had to do was rescue a family who had brought their new 4WD to drive on the island.

They had successfully driven off the car ferry, then immediately become bogged in the sand track (and then held up the rest of the vehicles). In the process of trying to 'bounce' their vehicle out of a rut, they had managed to accidentally open the boot, their esky and other belongings had spilled out everywhere . . . poor things were SO embarrassed!!!

Meanwhile, we all had a good laugh and continued safely on our way. The driver gave us so much local information, and knew the best places to take us as well.

Happy travels, Di

AmanteDelLimoncello Dec 20th, 2007 10:51 PM

Thanks all, maybe we will look closer at tours. Do any day tours start on Fraser or do you know of any 3 night tours from Hervey Bay?

stormbird Dec 20th, 2007 11:00 PM

Hi Pat, yes we too, have done a lot of 4 wheel driving with a number of camping trips to Fraser, and yes you do see a lot of people who don't even seem to know what they are doing.

Amante D L what about Kingfisher Resort - it is quite lovely but I'm not sure of prices but I imagine it is at the higher end of the market.

There is also (or was) the Eurong Resort but I think if you googled Fraser Island you would many accommodation options.

Regards
Stormbird

rok Jan 15th, 2008 07:31 AM

Hi all,My wife and I will be visiting Fraser Island at the end of March.
Can anyone recommend a 1 day trip to Fraser Island? The day trip would be on a Saturday.
We will arrive into Fraser Coast airport on Friday afternoon and fly back to Sydney on the Sunday at lunchtime.
Is Hervey Bay really only 10 minutes from Fraser Coast airport?
Short time for a beautiful place I know!

rok Jan 15th, 2008 07:35 AM

We will probably stay in Hervey Bay on the Friday and Saturday nights, any recommendations for good accommodation there?

AmanteDelLimoncello Jan 16th, 2008 02:20 PM

Kingfisher resort looks good, waiting to see if I can get a cheaper deal, some online sites have better prices for bookings in the next couple of months but not yet for June. Is June popular?
Has anyone done the Kingfisher to Lake Mackenzie walk?