Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Fodor's BRAND NEW Fiji guide (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/fodors-brand-new-fiji-guide-321052/)

AlexisK Mar 11th, 2008 08:31 AM

Fodor's BRAND NEW Fiji guide

Fodor's will be publishing it's first ever Fiji guide this August!!! Looking for your suggestions on properties, sights, experiences, etc that are musts for this book.

kerikeri Mar 11th, 2008 10:28 AM

i just have this suggestion- carefully check the prices.

when i was planning for the fall, everything was twice as much as it was supposed to be!

"cheap" backpacker places (that looked it, too) were really no bargain and it ended up costing as much as doing something on a more developed, safer island instead (i opted for beaches in oz).

sorry that's not too helpful, but overall maybe it will help someone planning on a strict budget?

kerikeri :)

AlexisK Mar 12th, 2008 06:21 AM

Thanks for your thoughts kerikeri. i will certainly double check with my writer to make sure that we have the most up-to-date prices, though I will tell you that prices change so fast sometimes it's hard to keep up.

Did you get to Fiji at all? If so, what was your favorite part? And, what was your least favorite part?

peterl43 Mar 12th, 2008 09:19 AM

We were in Fiji in 2003 with our family of 5 (3 kids, at the time, they were 14,11,8) and had a GREAT TIME. We stayed at Castaway Island for 5 nights...fantastic place, loads to do. We then went on a BLue Lagoon Cruise which was also fantastic..saw colors and fish that were as clear or even clearer than anything we saw on trips to the GBR. The only downside of the cruise was that there were not alot of kids on it...we had heard that the prior week there were tons of kids. Only downside of Fiji was the timing of the flights out and the fact that we had to stay on the mainland for a night prior to heading to Castaway...

kerikeri Mar 12th, 2008 09:19 PM

i'm sorry, alex, never did make it there.

it was always something: couldn't coordinate the flights (forced layovers in nadi at both ends). ultimately it was the low quality of the accommodations in particular 9compared to oz) that made the decision.

i will go one day, though, so look forward to what you can compile.

kerikeri :)

AlexisK Mar 24th, 2008 01:45 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.

iamq Apr 6th, 2008 11:01 AM

When does the book go to the printers?

We're going in June and are staying at Navini Island Resort in the Mamanuca Island chain which is supposed to have spectacular snorkeling.

Bowralchick09 Apr 24th, 2009 08:01 PM

I have been to Fiji quite a few times. My favourite place growing up was Plantation island. I went back on my honeymoon to Lomani Island, which is an adults only resort next to plantation. We had a great time because the resort was very small, but we were able to do a lot of activities (I didn't just want to lie on the beach all day!). I have also been to the Fijian, the warwick and the outrigger which are all on the coral coast. The beaches/water in the islands are way better than the mainland, but the coral coast is great for activities. I am hoping to visit Pacific Harbour soon to go white water rafting, zip-lining and shark diving. A friend recommended the Uprising because it is great value plus they have lots of activities like horse riding, jet ski safaris etc.

Luisah May 30th, 2009 09:06 AM

I spent four days, three nights at the Shangra La Resort at beginning of May after a trip to Australia and New Zealand. I was with a group tour and we all fell in love with Fiji and its people.

The resort, on the Coral Coast, is about an hour's drive from Nadi airport.

I've been to the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands and to Cozumel and none compare to the peace and beauty of this resort; I imagine other resorts in Fiji are similar. All the staff at the resort and the people we met in the village and at a visit to a school are sincerely friendly. We were always greeted with "Bula" and a smile.

Our trip to Australia and New Zealand was wonderful but it's Fiji that I yearn for. I miss being seranaded at breakfast, the luscious fresh fruit, the gorgeous sunsets and star-filled nights, rolling up my capris and walking along the cool Pacific a few yards from my patio, and then sitting on the beach and digging my feet into the warm sand.

I spent a few hours one afternoon sitting on my patio sorting through papers I'd accumulated during the trip. Birds in the coconut palms and the ocean breaking over a reef were the only sounds I heard. After a while an Australian couple walked by and the woman said "Can it get any better than this?" I don't think so.

The spa treatments were heavenly too and reasonable with our favorable currency exchange. There is an early bird discount for some treatments. Water at the resort is purified so buying bottled water is not necessary. The breakfast buffet was extensive and the grilled fish at the Beach Bar made a good, and healthful meal.

Some of the activies offered: Tennis, lawn bowling and a nine-hole executive golf course designed by Peter Thomson, game fishing in the resort's own boat, parasailing, snorkeling, scuba diving, and waterskiing.

But I wish I were there now floating around one of the beautiful pools.