Search

Flying United to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying United to Sydney

I'm still trying to figure out how to go Business Class to Australia. United has the lowest number of miles to upgrade. Years ago, my husband sent me to Hawaii on United and upgraded me to First Class. It was a terrible disappointment in terms of food and comfort (my seat was broken and the space was cramped). It didn't compare to any Buiness Class on another airlines. Does anyone know what planes United flies to Australia and how Business Class is? Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:37 PM

United flies 747s from LAX and SFO to Australia. Personally, I prefer their business class to Qantas (the only other nonstop service).

There's no comparison between domestic first (e.g., to Hawaii) and international business: the latter is vastly superior.

Don't book unless you can confirm the mileage upgrade at the same time (which may require flexibility in dates). Without high FF status you won't stand a chance if you waitlist. Mileage upgrades require at least an H fare (about $2k) and 30k miles each way (so 60k total). The miles required goes down to 15k each way for the more expensive Y or B fares. A free business class saver seat is only 90k miles (but very few are available).

Check out www.seatguru.com for seating details
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Dear Someotherguy,

Thanks for all the information! I'll check it out. Now, it makes more sense why United quoted me 15,000 miles to upgrade. Thanks again!!

Jeannette
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Jeanette,

330 days before our return flight last year we cashed in 90,000 miles apiece for business class tickets. I believe there were 2 of those seats available on each flight.

We flew Santa Fe, NM to Denver to SFO to Sydney, where a generous Aussie cricket star picked us up at
6 AM!

We had upstairs seats on a 747 and after a great meal and film , slept for 7 hours.

Best use of miles, ever.

AndrewDavid
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:25 AM

My wife and I just returned from Australia yesterday and flew United Business Class from LAX to SYD and had great flights. Service was excellent, seats great, meals and drink super. Used 90,000 frequent flyer miles each person. Hard to find flights as I booked well in advance.