Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Flying to Australia from Los Angeles via Auckland. What happens in with Auckland connection?

Flying to Australia from Los Angeles via Auckland. What happens in with Auckland connection?

Mar 6th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

I am planning to fly from Los Angeles to either Sydney or Auckland on Air New Zealand via Auckland. What happens with my connection in Auckland? Do I clear New Zealand immigrations for the connection or am I confined to a special area?
Mar 6th, 2005, 06:03 AM

I believe you will be required to stay in a special area. But there is food and shopping!
Mar 6th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

thank god
Mar 7th, 2005, 09:28 PM

Hi Richardab,

I've done the Auckland stopover from Los Angeles and you won't have to clear customs. You will stay in the transit area. There is plenty of duty free shopping and plenty of food shops, which by the way accept most currencies.

Mar 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Richard,

Another plus is that the transit area in Auckland was probably one of the most pleasant connections I've ever made (basically same route you're taking). It's a small airport, as it's not on the way to that many places, really. Quiet areas, lower lighting in some areas and chaise lounge sort of chairs - at least a couple of years ago. Been flying direct more recently. It kind of felt like someone's contemporary living room in a way.