Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Flying from Cairns to Whitsundays if I can't find anyone who flys to Prosperine?

Flying from Cairns to Whitsundays if I can't find anyone who flys to Prosperine?

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:35 AM
Sonia

Need to get from Cairns to Airlie beach as easily as possible. There are flights from Cairns to Mackay but it's another 150km until you reach Airlie beach.. Can anyone suggest something easier?

Thanks

Oct 15th, 2002, 12:19 PM
margo

Qantas flies from Cairns to Hamilton Island, which is about the best bet - fare around $AUS400 one way!
Have you considered the train? Proserpine to Cairns takes a fair time (all day) but may be a better bet financially.

Oct 15th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Kay

Not that I don't believe you but I'd be amazed if no one flies into Prosperine, it's such a big tourist destination. We flew into there last year with one of Ansett's subsidiaries (Flight West I think) but of course Ansett is defunct. Have you tried www.amadeus.com
www.qantas.com.au
www.virginblue.com.au
Another possibility is to contact Airlie Beach Tourism or the airport itself and ask who flies into Proserpine.
Good luck!
Kay

Oct 15th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Aussie

Not sure but maybe try REX .. Regional Express.... they have taken over some routes.

Oct 16th, 2002, 12:10 PM
margo

I think Sonia's problem is flying Cairns to Proserpine - I couldn't find anyone who did that, but I'm prepared to be corrected. There may be some small airlines I'm not aware of. Rex doesn't fly there. That's why I suggested Hamilton Island. I note Sonia has asked a second question about ferry from Hamilton to Airlie Beach.

Oct 16th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Lucy

If the cost of flying to Hamilton is too prohibitive I would recommend catching one of the McCaffertys or Greyhound buses that run regularly between Cairns & Brisbane. Looking at their website there seems to be a Greyhound bus that departs at 1am & gets to Airlie at 11.15am which would mean you wouldn't be wasting the whole day travelling (providing you think you can sleep on the bus).
http://www.mccaffertys.com.au/timet/select.asp?PickUp=Cns&SetDown=Air

http://www.greyhound.com.au/timet/select.asp?PickUp=Cns&SetDown=Air

Oct 16th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Sonia

Hi All

Thanks for all your help. As Margo correctly pointed out, I could fly to Hamilton Island, and I have found out a can get a ferry from there to Shute Harbour in about half an hour. This sounds perfect! Price shouldn't be an issue as I'm going to be on a round the world ticket and intend to put the priciest flights on that, whilst buying any extra cheaper flights through quantas or virgin blue.

Thanks again! :0)