Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Florida to Darwin-best route (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/florida-to-darwin-best-route-598748/)

Geckolips Mar 13th, 2006 07:06 AM

Florida to Darwin-best route

What is your recommended best route to Darwin from Tampa, Florida? Seems I could go east or west from here for about the same travel time. Price is also an issue- need low fare. I have talked to several who swear by Singapore airlines, others say the Qantas special fare with 3 stops is the best, some go through London. What do Fodorites recommend? I need to get the ticket soon - leaving in May.
Thanks.

Gardyloo Mar 13th, 2006 09:30 AM

Qantas' airpass is by far the best/cheapest deal going. From the Pacific coast (LA or SF) in May it's $1199 if your farthest destination is DRW ($999 if only SYD/MEL). Qantas wants $300 more for itineraries originating in the east, so I would look for a cheap one way or round trip fare from TPA to LAX (around $140 on several carriers) and start the trip there.

Almost all the other carriers from TPA (via London) are more (like $2K) for just the RT to DRW, never mind the other internal flights you'd get with the airpass.

wally34949 Mar 14th, 2006 06:59 AM

Do you want first, business or coach. To me, the best route would be the cheapest. Do you want a stopover? I would be willing to pay $200 extra to fly with an airline that I have FF miles with.

Visit www.itasoftware.com and check.

wally34949 Mar 14th, 2006 07:00 AM

BTW, May starts high season to Europe, so I would think going through Europe would be more expensive.

Geckolips Mar 14th, 2006 07:20 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have no FF miles, so coach will have to do. Qantas has my vote so far. I was told that Singapore airlines has the best seats and room, but I can't seem to find an easy, economical way to Darwin from there.
I think going down to Sydney and then flying up to Darwin is out of the way, but probably the best for the buck. I would like to see Sydney on the way back if possible, so again the 3 stop will probaby be it. I am still open to suggestions. Thanks. again.

wally34949 Mar 15th, 2006 08:48 AM

I flew last Christmas and I'm going again this Christmas from Miami to London and on to Sydney. Last year I flew to Perth, which is half way around. I have a British Airways credit card and knew that if I booked it with BA/Qantas, I would get a reward fare to Europe this summer. I did! Got to work those Frequent Flyer miles.

You should visit www.qantas.com and get on their E-mail list. I saw today $695 for a down-under ticket or was it $795. Either way, not bad. They want to keep those flights full. Remember, Qantas is partners with British Airways and American Airlines.

May is a good time to fly because the kids are in school.

tampatramp Mar 15th, 2006 03:19 PM

Geckolips: Qantas is a great airline. My R/T San Francisco-Sydney was $658+tax. Any special fare with internal flights would be best. Note: there are not that many flights in or out of Darwin, making connections can be tough. See you for the Tampa reunion in Darwin in May (ha!). If you find a direct flight Tampa to Darwin let me know!!