Flights from Sydney to Cairns

Aug 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Flights from Sydney to Cairns

Can anyone offer some advice on fares for flights from Sydney to Cairns? My wife and I will be heading up that way on September 24th, returning the 28th (dates are pretty much set). I know that's school holiday time, and every flight special I've seen excludes those dates (I've signed up for every imaginable e-mail list ).

I've been tracking these fares for a couple months, and I've noticed that just in the past couple weeks they've started rising on Jetstar and Virgin Blue, and have done so a few times. Right now both are about $400 AUD return per person (with checked bags).

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should book them now before they go up again, or wait another couple weeks and maybe hope for a special as the date gets closer and the airlines want to fill their planes? Often (here in the U.S. anyway) flight deals can be found as airlines try to fill up unsold seats, but since there are only 2 airlines flying Sydney to Cairns, the competition doesn't seem too fierce. I just don't know how high they might go, that's my only fear.

Thank you for any advice you can provide!
Aug 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM
JYK

I'm going in late Oct and I found $169 SYD-Cairns on Qantas, and $115 Cairns-SYD on Virgin Blue.

Search this Thread