Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   First time visitors to Austalia and confused? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/first-time-visitors-to-austalia-and-confused-72073/)

Anna May 15th, 2000 12:37 AM

First time visitors to Austalia and confused?

We're planning a trip to Australia in September/October. We feel totally confused regarding where to go etc. We're first time visitors and will probably go for 2-3 weeks(I know it's too short,but it's all the time we'll have)We would like to explore the wilderness and are probably more interested in scenary/national parks and wildlife than cities.Any recommendations on the best areas to visit?

Kay May 15th, 2000 02:27 AM

Hi Anna, <BR>Australia is huge with a lot to offer visitors so no wonder you're confused! I'd recommend looking at as many websites on Australia as you can find, and going into a big bookstore and reading up on what is here (Lonely Planet books are great). <BR>Try the Great Ocean Road in southern Victoria - good walks, beautiful beaches and great scenery - especially around Port Campbell where the Twelve Apostles rock formation is. Weather in Victoria will not be very warm though in Sept/Oct. <BR>I'd steer clear of Sydney during Olympic time unless you're going to the Olympics. Queensland is very popular - Fraser Island, the Whitsunday Islands, Cairns/Port Douglas all have great scenery and usually good weather. <BR>You will need to fly between main cities as distances are vast. <BR>Also well worth a visit is Ayers Rock, Kings Canyon and Katherine Gorge in Northern Territory. <BR>Hope this helps a little, feel free to email me. <BR>Kay

Sandra May 15th, 2000 12:46 PM

I spent 3 weeks in Australia once. I started in Cairns, moved down to Brisbane, then Sydney and finally Melbourne. I went to the Barrier Reef, the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane and many other places. I took advantage of a least one day tour of each city. That way I maximized the time I had. Most of the large cities have botanical gardens which are very interesting and beautiful. Hope this is some help

sally May 18th, 2000 03:51 PM

I would suggest that you go to Queensland for the Barrier Reef and some wonderful national parks.If you want real "outback" go well north in Qld. Tasmania has the certified world heritage wilderness areas and all of Tasmania is very beautiful with wonderful walks etc. For gorges and more national parks and wilderness, you need to be out of Darwin probably. I doubt that you could possibly do all of those areas in 3 weeks because of the distances involved. Not so much the air travel - but the distances involved once you're there. I guess I would suggest perhaps 2 weeks in Qld if you want to go right up north, and a week in Tasmania. It depends on whether you are into overnight hikes etc.

Astrid May 19th, 2000 05:19 AM

I've been to Oz three weeks in February and it's a very short period indeed. I started in Sydney, flew up to Cairns and went down by bus with stops in Brisbane, Byron Bay and (a little south from Sydney) the Blue Mountains. On the road, I'v heard great things about the Great Ocean Road. Qld is also beautiful, the Great Barrier Reef is a must see but I think you might want to use a car instead of a bus, that way you can go up to the National Parks and stay there for a night. I've heard people who hired a car and bought a cheap tent at the K-mart, so that they could camp whenever they wanted to stay somewhere. The west coast is supposed to be more of a wilderness, the red roads you see in books. Less tourists. I thought this was a disadvantage of the East Coast, tourists and backpackers are all over every place and it's very difficult to avoid them and do your own things (feeling that you are an individual, as the LP says). <BR> <BR>The one thing you have to do is making a itinerary. You have to make choices, otherwise you waste time running around. But that's obvious, ofcourse. <BR> <BR>I hope this is somewhat helpful to you.

Mike Jun 3rd, 2000 09:31 PM

Hello Anna - <BR> <BR>I spent two weeks (not counting flight over) in Australia in May. I certainly wish I had more time. I spent about 5 days near Cairns, though I've heard Pt. Douglas and north is better. Definitely go to Great Barrier Reef, rainforests. Then 4 days in Melbourne - Phillip Island for penguins - very good, Great Ocean Road - well worth it! and great botanical gardens + plenty of shopping. Then Sydney for 5 days - Rocks, harbor cruises, Opera House, Darling Harbor, Blue Mountains, Taronga Zoo, botanical gardens, and I even got one night at the Sydney Observatory.

Tina Jun 9th, 2000 12:20 AM

Hey Anna, <BR>If you're into seeing the usual touristy sites, go to the Northern Territory- Darwin and the town near Uluru (can't remember what it's called)are fantastic. There's lots to see there, waterfalls, Uluru. Western Australia ie. the Kimberly is good too, I hear. <BR> <BR>If you're more into the city kinda things, go to Sydney, Melbourne, and Canberra. They're all relatively close, and in the same direction. Canberra in particular is a beautiful city. Word of warning, though- it's bound to be a little chilly (I'm freezing my toes off at the moment!}. <BR> <BR>If you're more into beaches, go on the north coast of NSW to Queensland, or the Whitsundays. Those places are more resorty and not typically 'Australian'. <BR> <BR>Hope you have a great trip :) <BR> <BR>

Paul S Jun 9th, 2000 02:20 AM

Anna, <BR> <BR>Here are a couple of National Parks that are not too far from Sydney and are quite beautiful. The first is the Barrington Tops National Park there is a really rustic guest house there called Barrington House that caters for a host of activities including horse riding in the National Park. The scenery is spectacular. The other place is the Myall Lakes National Park and that is a slice of heaven. Best to drive to Port Stephens then rent a house boat for a couple of days, head up the Myall River past a place called Tea Gardens and on into the Myall Lakes and explore the region. Port Stphens is about a 2 hour drive from Sydney or there are coaches that leave from outside Central Station in Sydney that go direct to Port Stephens. <BR> <BR>Cheers

David Jun 14th, 2000 02:54 AM

Anna, <BR>If you are looking for wilderness experiences in our great country rather than city experiences then all I can say is you are going to have a great couple of weeks. You must start in Darwin and see Kakadu & Litchfield national Park. Then go west to the Kimberley, especially the Bungle Bungles...they are truely a once in a life time experience (see them from the air if you can....charter flights from Halls Creek). Work your way down to Perth seeing Monkey Mia (where dolphins swim in about 3 foot of water), the pinnicles, Kalbarri and a number of other local attractions (there are heaps around....you will become aware of them while travelling). You can then fly to Alice Springs, see Ularu, the Olgas and Kings Canyon....thats about three weeks. By this time Anna, you have had a most unusual, but wonderful time in Australia. <BR> <BR>On your next visit you can do the east coast from far North Queensalnd to the ocean road or visa versa...but you will be back. <BR> <BR>If I can help furthur just drop me a line. <BR> <BR>David

Nicholas Jun 16th, 2000 11:33 PM

Anna <BR> <BR>You have been given all the information in the world and it can get even more confusing. We found that to be a constant problem in Australia because its just to big. So we started our own company that can orgainise, assist and recommend place for people like yourself when you get here. Our website has been recently launched at www.bluestarconcierge.com or you can email me for further details. <BR> <BR>Best Regards <BR>Nicholas

Dale Aug 7th, 2000 10:33 AM

G'day Mates... <BR> <BR>For those who are first time visitors or returning visitors from the U.S. and Canada, Tourism Queensland, the official tourism arm for Queensland has its own web site at www.DestinationQueensland.com/