First Time.. Need Suggestions.

Sep 8th, 1998, 07:25 PM
Steve

First Time.. Need Suggestions.

I am travelling to sydney probably mid october for 1 week and then flying on to brisbane for the indy race. I am not a real big city traveller and was wondering about the crime, hotels in good parts of the cities close to quiet bars, or maybe even pool (billiards) bars. Also, was wondering about buying tickets for the race once i get there. Big sports fan and i would also like to see an australian football game if there are any going on. And any other advice you can give me. I appreciate any help.

Sep 8th, 1998, 11:03 PM
michael

Steve,
Sydney is a safe city, there are areas to be wary of such as Kings Cross (basically a red light district), Brisbane also is a safe city as is the Gold Coast where the Indy is being run. Plenty of pubs (bars) in each of the city areas although you may find that some close early by international standards, however there are a number of 24 hour bars. You will be able to pick up tickets in australia as the race is a street race and generally has heaps of room. If you are interested in pricing in Oz dollars try www.ticketek.com.au which is an online ticketing agency. Football is finished by the time you arrive.

Sep 11th, 1998, 12:24 AM
Michelle

Hi Steve
Unfortunately you will just miss all the excitement of the football finals, which all finish by the end of September. October is too early for cricket as well. Of course there's the Melbourne Cup (the annual horse race that stops the nation!) which is run on the first Tuesday in November. You won't be in Melbourne, but you'll catch it in just about any bar you happen to be in at the time - Melbourne Cup lunches usually make a good afternoon's entertainment.

In Sydney, the Rocks area is a pretty good area to stay, it is right on the harbour. Sydney is really safe - just use common sense and avoid small, dark alleyways in the middle of the night (as you would anywhere) and you'll be fine. Brisbane is even safer.

In the Rocks there are lots of nice hotels - where you stay depends on your budget. Most of them have nice quiet bars, a lot with magnificent harbour views. It is definitely worth a visit up to the Horizons Bar on level 36 of the ANA hotel for a drink to watch the sun set on the harbour (you don't need to stay there to drink there). Get there by about 4.30pm and you will beat the after-work rush and you should be able to get a good table right in the window overlooking the opera house and bridge. It's a great view.

There are also quite a few pubs in the Rocks, and most have pool tables. The Paragon just opposite Circular Quay (on the harbour) has the whole of its top floor devoted to pool tables and it is quite central and handy to most of the hotels.
Have a good time here!
Michelle

Sep 11th, 1998, 05:26 AM
Holly Wallace

My sister and I just returned from Sydney and the Cairns. We had a wonderful time. I live in New York City, so I found Sydney very similar. Just be aware and don't wonder around dark alleys at night. Also I found Australians extremely friendly, people were always willing to tell us where there favorite place to go was. Also, take a harbor cruise at night, it was spectacular and it gives you a great view of Sydney. My sister and I stayed in the rocks area and loved it!

Search this Thread