Very beginning of very rough itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites on the Australia and the pacific board! Although most of my activity has been on the Asia board, DH and I are starting to plan a very long awaited trip to Australia and NZ. I haven't done the proper amount of research yet (still working on our trip to India next month) but because it is now the time for getting the FF award seats in Biz, I have an initial "does this seem about right" plan and would really welcome feedback. Those award seats seem more difficult to come by all the time and yesterday I found something to get started with so here goes. Mid October leave east coast, overnight LAX, Cathay pacific to Hong Kong, overnight there (fine we us, we've done this before), fly to Denpasar. We were in Bali 10 years ago, loved it and would probably stay a couple of nights . Then the real trip begins and how does this seem?
Fly to Darwin (that's the reason for going to DPS) spend about 3 days mostly going to parks in the area, then 3 nights Ayers Rock area, fly to Sydney and stay for 5-6 days, Tasmania probably for 6 nights, maybe kangaroo island for 2-3 nights. That gives us 3 weeks in Australia. Then fly to NZ, spend a total of 2 weeks mostly in the South Island.. Fit in some winery tours somewhere in either place. Fly home in late November. Because of the time of year we are going, we thought the North to South routing of the trip would make the most sense. In a few more days we may be able to secure return tix out of Auckland.

We are mid-60s/early 70s couple and we enjoy walking but not hiking, seeing wildlife and beautiful scenery. We like to stay no less than 3 nights in one place, 4-5 is optimal, we are much slower travelers than we used to be. We are very excited about going to Sydney but not sure if any other city would be compelling. We know we have to give up some special things since we only have about 5 weeks, so we will probably pass on the GBR (no beach resorts as we spend much of the year in the Caribbean).

I have a 4 day hold on the tix to DPS which is what is driving the query right now. Thanks for your comments, I've started reading some trip reports on the board and have seen some familiar names..
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 07:41 AM

Not an expert, but have taken two trips to Australia from the US. I think you are mischaracterizing the Great Barrier Reef--it is not about beach resorts, and it is a natural wonder that is degrading and won't be the same in the future. We went to two different areas, north near Port Douglas (which has much to do in the area including the Daintree rainforest, part of another World Heritage site) and south at Heron Island. The GBR is really worthwhile, and nothing like sitting on the beach other places in the world.

If you are not going to do longer hikes, I think you don't need three nights at Ayers Rock. We had two there (plus time at Kings Canyon which we think can be missed) and had time to do the Valley of the Winds hike at Kata Tjuta. We were there in late October and it was past peak season and getting into the wetter time of year. Sounds like you may be there even later. I'd entourage you to look seriously at the climate and decide whether your timing is good for the "red center."

Two nights is minimum at Kangaroo Island. It's a slog to get there through Adelaide, but we really liked it. You could probably do four nights there, or three nights on island plus a day in Adelaide made necessary by connections. We flew. Taking the ferry would add time. We did not do Kangaroo Island and the GBR on the same trip.

Best of luck. You'll have a great trip whatever you decide. Just be aware that it's a big country and you usually kill a day traveling from one region to another.
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 12:39 PM

Here's an Australian point of view. Have your three nights in Darwin and use those to see around the immediate area and Litchfield NP. Then add on another two nights and hire a car and drive to Kakadu. Driving is easy, you really can't get lost and you can see the park at your leisure. I know you can do a day tour out of Darwin but it would be a very long day and very rushed and it sounds as that would not be your choice. Be aware that the weather will be very warm to hot and humid.
Re Uluru/Ayers Rock, again hire a car - there's basically only one road so you can't get lost and traffic will be extremely light. If you enjoy walking, do the Valley of the Winds in the Olgas (Kata Juta). Try to include enough time to visit Kings Canyon but only if you are fit enough to do the top of the canyon walk which is truly spectacular. It's a three hour walk around the rim of the canyon. If you are not prepared to walk, then you miss out on the beauty of the canyon. We're not young and we've done it twice.
I'd leave out Kangaroo Island and use that time to visit Port Douglas or Cairns and take a boat trip to the reef. Apart from the reef, there are some beautiful rainforest areas and beach areas. Be aware that Cairns does not have a beach (mud flats) but Port Douglas has a magnificent beach. My personal favourite is Palm Cove (about 20 minutes north of Cairns), lovely little town with good range of accommodation, good beach and very attractive surrounds.
If Kangaroo Island is still your first choice, have a few days travelling around the South Australian wine areas - Barossa Valley, Clare Valley, etc. South Australia produces some award winning wines and the countryside and townships are attractive.
Whatever you do, I hope you have a great holiday in our country.
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

These are very helpful responses and I hope they keep coming! I'm thinking of eliminating Ayers Rock and substituting GBR. I originally thought that if I started in the Northern Territories, it would make sense to go to there but it seems like it isn't any "easier" to go there than it is to go to GBR...is that correct? But the basic decision I need to make in the next few days is whether or not to start in Darwin because of the hold on the FF tickets.
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 01:38 AM

Both Uluru and the GBR are 'wondrous' experiences and ones that can't be replicated anywhere else in the world. It's a long way down to Kangaroo Island. That's the bit I'd drop.
mart's advice is very sound.
Old Dec 27th, 2014, 03:18 AM

Having just returned from a mid-October trip, the temperature at Uluru was 41 and insects were a real problem. Don't think I would have done it second guessing.

We also enjoyed Melbourne. Lots of interesting architecture, beautiful gardens, access to Great Barrier Road for truly amazing scenery.

Agree with 5-6 days in Sydney. So much to see.
Old Dec 27th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cheryl,I've been following your trip report and it has been very helpful, looks like you had a great time.
I was able to get tix directly to Darwin so we will start there, then probably GBR, Sydney. Melbourne and Tasmania as a very general routing. My focus now is trying to get FF tix for the return and will then fill in more details.
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 11:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we did a not dissimilar trip last November /December - 5 nights in Port Douglas [flying into and out of Cairns], 5 nights in Brisbane [too long really but 2 days were set aside for the cricket] then 17 in NZ [not long enough] and 5 nights in Sydney - about right.

if 14 days is all you've got for NZ you probably need to jettison one island or the other, or alternatively go to Tasmania in stead and leave NZ for another trip, when you have at least 3 weeks [4 would be better].