Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

First time caller, first time traveller looking for advice

Jan 9th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Hello All!

Im planning to visit New Zealand/Australia soon from Edmonton Alberta Canada and was wondering if I could get some pointers. I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants (not making plans from one moment to the next, going with the flow type) kinda traveller, would this be possible at this time of year in this area? Mostly in the sense of actually getting accommodations without advance booking. I'm also looking for some pointers on how to fly to both countries as Id like to start in New Zealand and finish in Australia yet can only seem to find flights that start and end in New Zealand. Or any general pointers or links would be greatly appreciated. Ive done a fair amount of research so far but it feels kinda overwhelming almost to the point where I'm getting scared to go! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Jan 9th, 2016, 12:56 PM

How long do you have for this trip? If it isn't very long, you may wish to limit your time to one country.

Most airlines will allow you to make an open-jaw or multistop booking, in which you fly into one city and leave from another. There will be some kind of link on their home page where you can do that.

Lee Ann
Jan 9th, 2016, 01:05 PM

When are you planning to make your trip?

And yes, how long do you have?

Australia is roughly the size of the US, with diverse climatic regions & although New Zealand is significantly smaller, its topography make travel slower between places than may be suggested when you look at a map.

As a starting point, I would suggest you have a look at the online information available on both countries here & on their own websites, to see what's available that piques your interest - and where those things are located

That will give you the basis of a rough itinerary - and once we know when & for how long you will be here, we can help you refine your plans.
Jan 9th, 2016, 03:17 PM

The key questions are how long do you have and what time of year? If you have 8 weeks in April my answer will be far different than if you have 2 weeks in February!
Jan 9th, 2016, 06:15 PM

If by 'soon' you mean Jan or Feb, do be aware that Jan is school holidays (as in summer break) for both countries and Feb is high season in NZ (and hotter than the hinges of hell in some parts of Australia).

We really need more info to be of any help.
Jan 12th, 2016, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi thanks for all responses. Id like to leave within next couple of weeks until April. Is it realistic or not? thanks again
Jan 12th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking about spending bulk in NZ with maybe a short excursion of couple weeks in Aus, just to get my feet wet as they say to come back again if I like it there
Jan 12th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Sorry a little background I guess. I tend to like visiting ocean type cities like the San Franscisco/San Diego type places with lots to do and see. I'm fairly active. I also enjoy the great outdoors like mountains etc and love road trip excursions or back packing, tend to find myself more in the hostel type setting . I just don't know where to start and am a horrible planner/procrastinator. I've always just shown up somewhere in the past and let my senses guide me from there
Jan 12th, 2016, 08:03 PM

Provided you have your Visa for Australia and New Zealand ( unless you qualify for a visa waiver in NZ), you can come as soon as you like.

It's summer here, NZ will be cooler than Australia & the south of both countries is usually cooler than the north, as we move into Autumn.

School holidays finish at the end of January & with Easter not until 25 March, you probably wouldn't have too much trouble "winging it" for accommodation, flights & car rentals.

Have fun.
Jan 13th, 2016, 07:31 AM

I disagree with Bokhara2's advice. Chinese New Year will brings thousands of Chinese tourists to New Zealand in February. Folks are already stating accommodation and activities are completely booked out for smaller towns like Aoraki/Mount Cook, Fox, and Franz Josef Glacier.

Warbirds Over Wanaka is an event that happens over the Easter Weekend and Wanaka and Queenstown are completely booked.
Jan 13th, 2016, 10:13 AM

You're right, deSchenke! I completely forgot about Chinese New Year in NZ!
Jan 13th, 2016, 05:55 PM

FYI, the Lunar New Year falls on February 8th this year, in case that helps with your planning.