Best place to get Fijiian currency

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Laura

Best place to get Fijiian currency

Where is the best place to get last minute local Fijiian currency? We fly into Nadi and then fly on to Taveuni before getting on a boat that will take us to Matangi Island. Should we use an ATM on Nadi or are there ATM's on Taveuni? Are they located at the airports? Thank you for your help! Laura

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:18 AM
ALF

There is an ATM in Nadi airport, and I don't recall seeing one at Taveuni. If you have never been to Taveuni before, I can tell you that the airstrip and open-air 'terminal' are pretty rudimentary. There is a little snack bar/gift shop, but no other amenities.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Mary

ATM & currency exhange at nadi airport. However I'm not sure that you'll need a lot of Fiji money - we never have unless we were overnighting in Nadi. Resorts book it all up to your room (bure) and are happy to exchange small amounts for trips to local villages etc. One of the beauties of Fiji is that once you're on the island - there's nothing to spend your money on!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Louis

If you are going to Matangi you do not need any Fijiian currency. They even took dollars for our departure tax. You will love Matangi. I would not say that there is nothing to buy in Fiji. The first time we were there we come back with a table and two large turned wood bowls as luggage, about 100lbs all told. If Steve Cohan is still living and working there his stuff is an outstanding value. His works should be at Jacks in Nadi. They take credit cards. If you are there go visit his workshop and say hello for me.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Laura

Thanks everyone for the replies! I know we will not need much cash as everything will be put on "the card" but Matangi recently started offering spa/massage services and they request the masseuse be paid in Fijiian currency. I don't want to get there and not be able to get my massage!!!

Louis, we picked Matangi Island partially because of all the glowing reports we read about from messages you had posted here. We are so excited about going. Thank you for all the help you gave us in deciding where to go -- even though you didn't know you were doing it!

Laura