Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Ferry to Manly Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/ferry-to-manly-beach-1020783/)

kdd Jul 22nd, 2014 06:49 PM

Ferry to Manly Beach

All,

Is it worth taking the ferry ride to Manly Beach if we don't plan to do the walk to Spit Bridge? If the ferry trip itself is scenic then we would do it. Also, is it possible to do a roundtrip in the same ferry or we have to necessarily disembark and get on the next boat?

Please advise.

Peteralan Jul 22nd, 2014 07:32 PM

Yes the ferry trip itself and a look around Manly is well worth it. You get a great look at the harbour as well as the Opera House and harbour bridge both up close. Then a walk through the shops to the beach is interesting. When you arrive at Manly you have to get off and join a return ferry but they go every half hour so why not have a look around Manly first. When are you coming?

Bokhara2 Jul 22nd, 2014 07:33 PM

Yes.
Just buy a return ticket.

There is a lot more to Manly than the Manly to Spit walk, but if you just want to stay on the ferry, that's up to you.

Seems a shame not to even walk down the Corso to the beach, though. Note: the ferry docks at Manly Cove, not the beach.

Bokhara2 Jul 22nd, 2014 07:38 PM

Peter, you can go back on the same ferry - just get off & join the boarding queue.

kdd Jul 22nd, 2014 08:29 PM

We are there in mid October. I too think we should spend some time at the beach before heading back.

Thanks!

Bokhara2 Jul 22nd, 2014 09:07 PM

Good! You're welcome.
It's a beautiful area & we like to share it with our visitors.

kdd Jul 23rd, 2014 01:17 AM

I suppose it would be too ambitious to try and do Manly and Bondi on the same day?

Bokhara2 Jul 23rd, 2014 03:36 AM

Not at all - but unless you are going to do the Bondi to Bronte or Coogee walk, it's just another big beach. More touristy - every tourist has heard of Bondi Beach.

You can take an Eco - hopper catamaran direct from Manly to Bondi if you wish.

If you wanted to have two beach days and like a short walk, I'd suggest taking a bus to Bronte Beach. Walk along the cliff walk to Bondi beach. Spectacular scenery. From there take a bus to Watsons Bay. Lovely little former fishing village with picturesque coves, National Park & charming cottages. Take a ferry back to Circular Quay in the late afternoon & have picture post cars views of the Opera House & Harbour Bridge with a sunset backdrop if you're lucky.

Hez Jul 23rd, 2014 05:08 PM

As far as I know there is no Ferry to Bondi, from Manly or otherwise. You need to take a bus to Bondi. Personally, I wouldn't bother with Bondi though - over rated and crowded. The walk from Bondi to Bronte is lovely, but others are just as nice.

You can take a ferry from Manly to Watson's Bay though which would make for a lovely day. We like to go to the Watson's Bay Hotel (locally known as The Waddo) for fish and chips.

Bokhara2 Jul 23rd, 2014 05:41 PM

Quite right, Hez. There is no ferry to Bondi. Ferries do not go out of the Heads.

Peteralan Jul 23rd, 2014 10:11 PM

Thanks Bokhara. I just got the impression kdd meant could she/he physically stay on the ferry and come back. Anyway a waste of a trip to Manly imo!

Grindeldoo Jul 28th, 2014 11:57 AM

Assuming that the weather is halfway decent, walk to Manly beach for a picnic lunch. Taking a glass each (plastic or otherwise) with you, then pick up a warm pie each at the pie shop on Manly Corso on your way. Hamlets Pies are famed and a Sydney institution. Stop at a bottle shop as well on the way to pick up a bottle of sparkling wine and sit on the edge of the wall overlooking the beach and enjoy your lunch. Perfect.

kdd Jul 28th, 2014 07:53 PM

If we go to Bondi we would like to do the walk to Bronte, so it sounds like we should make 2 it beach days...will see how it goes after we get there.

Thanks for all the information.