Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Ferntree Rainforest Lodge, Daintree (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/ferntree-rainforest-lodge-daintree-543293/)

gaynor Jul 11th, 2005 09:46 AM

Ferntree Rainforest Lodge, Daintree

Has anyone got any recent experience of the Ferntree Rainforest Lodge ? It has some really bad reviews on Trip Advisor and as I've booked 3 nights there as part of a RTW trip starting in 2 weeks, I've got time to cancel and maybe book somewhere else. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Our original intention was to drive to Ferntree from Cairns, stay 3 nights, drive to Mungumby lodge for 2 nights then on to Cook Town (Sovereign Lodge) for 2 nights. We would overnight in Cairns on the way back before our onward flight. We have visited Queensland before and stayed at Treetops, Port Douglas, so we want a different experience on this trip.

Thanks,

Gaynor

myaustralia Jul 11th, 2005 04:00 PM

It depends on what you expect. Remember that the resorts in the Daintree are very remote. There is no city around or much night life. If you just want to get away - it is a great place, but don't expect too much, you might miss some amenities or conveniences you had in Port.

pat_woolford Jul 11th, 2005 04:34 PM

As an alternative have a look at Coconut Beach Rainforest Lodge, which is lovely. If that's too pricy there's some great accommodation options in Daintree - www.bnbnq.com.au under the heading "north".

Mungumby Lodge, near Helenvale is quite remote, but I suppose you know that or you wouldn't be thinking of it. Check out the astonishing pub, The Lion's Den and the eerie Black Mountain. Have stayed at the Sovereign in Cooktown several times, rooms are fine and food is good. Assume you know the Bloomfield Track is 4WD, you can take conventional car on inland route. Have a great trip, the Bloomfield Track is one of our favourites.

gaynor Jul 12th, 2005 12:09 AM

Thanks to you both for your help. We are aware that the area is pretty remote and don't want nightlife or big cities. The main reason for going is to drive the Bloomfield Track (we have rented a 4x4) and want to travel as far north as we are able. Mungumby and Sovereign look interesting places and we know not to expect luxurious accommodation there, 'rustic' is fine with us. My concern with Ferntree is that it appears to have become pretty run down lately according to the reports I read elsewhere. I will certainly look at the bnbnq site that you mention, Pat. Do you have any specific recommendations there ? We are considering Coconut beach - as this is run by the same company as Ferntree should I have the same concerns for that resort ? I will have a good look at your recommendations over the next few days and possibly re-book at the weekend when I have more time.

Thanks again for your help.

Tassietwister Jul 13th, 2005 02:45 AM

I have stayed at Ferntree and thought I died and went to heaven. Across the road is the dragonfly cafe which is one of my all time fav places for a relaxing champagne in the afternoon watching the tortoise from the balcony.

I can't see what is wrong with the place. For three nights you maybe stretched for nightlife. Plenty during the day, nature wise, but evening no TV or choice of restuarant.

I totally loved it. Take a torch, so dark at night walking you cannot see one foot in front of you.

However a beautiful spot, lovely cabin with huge comfy bed.

I can't see why it would get bad review. Very very clean, and relaxing gorgeous surround.

Tassietwister Jul 13th, 2005 03:00 AM

I went to trip advisor to see what fuss was about and the report I read would indicate they stayed in a motel type room by the pool for like a $100 more per night than we paid for a cabin type room. The Coconut lodge and Ferntree are both the same management so to say one is better than the other is a bit odd. One is cheaper because it does not offer same service but both are cleaned the same.

Happy holiday

pat_woolford Jul 13th, 2005 04:40 AM

Hi Gaynor, you'll see some great accommodation with friendly hosts who'll give you the gen on the area. Under the options under the site I gave, Marae is lovely with outstanding views, every loo has a view. Mossman Gorge B&B is a terrific position with more birdlife than you could poke a stick at. But both of these are probably a bit too far south for what you're looking at. Red Mill House at Daintree is great, especially if you're interested in wildlife, as is Daintree Valley Haven. For something different have a look at Cape Tribulation Exotic Fruit Farm, Digby and his wife excel in the tropical fruit area, you'll be amazed at what they grow there.

gaynor Jul 14th, 2005 07:46 PM

Pat, the places you have recommended look wonderful - I really wish I'd known about the bnbq site when I started planning this trip last year ! Maybe I'll just have to start planning for next year...!

I haven't decided whether to cancel Ferntree or not yet, but will check it out when we go anyway so that I can maybe give something back to the forum. We fly from London to Rio, on then to Moorea, then Rarotonga before arriving in Queensland, then on to Dubai before returning to UK. We leave next weekend -I can't wait! Many, many thanks to all those that have offered me advice on each part of the trip.

Gaynor