Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   February Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/february-travel-1132371/)

apcohen2 Sep 25th, 2016 11:14 AM

February Travel

My wife and I are thinking of going to Australia for the month of February. The travel books seem discouraging regarding the weather in Brisbane and Cairns. We would like to go there, Sydney, and Melbourne. Should we plan on another time of year or should we consider another itinerary?

Melnq8 Sep 25th, 2016 11:24 AM

Personally you couldn't pay me to visit anywhere in Australia in February.

We lived in WA for seven years and February was the month we dreaded being there the most. The heat was oppressive - at least to us.

tasmangirl Sep 25th, 2016 11:52 AM

February is really hot. You will just move from air conditioned shop/café/hotel or to hotel pool. Being cool will outweigh any desire to sight see.
Chose another time.

Bokhara2 Sep 25th, 2016 01:04 PM

"Should we plan on another time of year or should we consider another itinerary?"

Yes. Either go to Tasmania or ditch Australia & go to New Zealand in February.

Or come to Australia at another time. April - September would be best if you want to include the Great Barrier Reef.

www.bom.gov.au will give you weather patterns.

janisj Sep 25th, 2016 03:04 PM

Those posting above are all OZ pros -- but just to let you know: 2 or 3 years ago I was planning my first trip to Australia in Feb - and my Aussie friend said if Feb was the only time I could visit -- to not even bother.

I'm planning a trip at another time of year in the next couple of years.

Bokhara2 Sep 25th, 2016 04:37 PM

If February was really the only month someone could come to Australia, I wouldn't say don't come at all.
After all, 24m or so of us live here, so it's not as if we're all vaporized every February.

However, as there are many more comfortable months, and particularly in the popular "reef & rock" destinations, I would recommend a change of time if the poster has that flexibility. Or a change of Itinerary, as I did above.

The other issue is that a good number of the enquiries here come from North Americans & Europeans, who will be coming out of the depths of northern hemisphere winter - into the peak of heat & humidity in our tropical areas & dry heat in the red centre.

janisj Sep 25th, 2016 05:05 PM

>>If February was really the only month someone could come to Australia, I wouldn't say don't come at all. <<

My friend knows I travel a lot and could come any time -- I'm sure if she thought it was truly the 'only' time I could visit, her response would have been different. Let's just say - she convinced me another time of year would be MUCH better.

apcohen2 Sep 26th, 2016 03:08 AM

Thank you all for confirming my fears. We will schedule another time.

BigRuss Sep 26th, 2016 01:22 PM

<<After all, 24m or so of us live here, so it's not as if we're all vaporized every February.>>

Uh, that says it all right there: only 24M people can survive February in Australia annually. Compare that to Texas, known for its unbearable summers, and its nearly 27M residents with less than 1/10 the land mass . . .

Bokhara2 Sep 26th, 2016 01:28 PM

Ha ha too true, Big Russ! That's enough - we'll be closing the gates soon. Don't want to get too overrun with people!

BigRuss Sep 27th, 2016 07:20 AM

Just keep a spot for me and the other half for when we retire to Adelaide . . .

cathies Sep 27th, 2016 10:42 PM

I survive the Aussie February, but do I enjoy it? No, I do not. By the end of February with the oppressive humidity I am not a happy girl.