Notices

Featherdale or Taronga Zoo in Sydney?

Jul 6th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Featherdale or Taronga Zoo in Sydney?

I'm posting this again because I spelled Taronga wrong in my previous message:
We have to choose one zoo for our upcoming short stay in Sydney in January. Breakfast with the Koalas looks interesting at the Taronga, but I have read Featherdale has a more interactive experience with the indigenous animals. I know Taronga has better views, but we will have those from our other activities. Which is your favorite zoo of these two?
Jul 6th, 2013, 10:00 PM

My favourite zoo is Taronga, plus it's not just a commercial enterprise the money goes to research and good causes such as repopulating species on the brink of extinction like the corroboree frog.

In NSW you can't handle koalas (I think you can in Queensland), so I'm not sure how interactive the experience would be at Featherdale. I've never been there so I can't speak from experience.

At Taronga, you can walk in amongst kangaroo and wallabies and in the Wollemi environment section of the zoo you may find the echidnas following you. The nocturnal house and the playtpus displays are also outstanding. You need to look at the program there as native species like the fairy penguins come out at particular times.
Jul 7th, 2013, 09:11 AM

The ferry ride to Taronga and the landscaping once you're there and walking up the hill, then the view across - they alone swing it in favour if you have time for only one. Taronga also offers much more in other ways.
Jul 7th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the replies! So far, it seems Taronga is winning out.

Search this Thread