Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Favorite things to do in Melbourne (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/favorite-things-to-do-in-melbourne-1019582/)

TexasTwo Jul 10th, 2014 05:24 AM

Favorite things to do in Melbourne

What are your favorite things to do or see in Melbourne?

Songdoc Jul 10th, 2014 09:29 AM

Botanic Gardens
Shrine of Remembrance
Queen Victoria Market and/or the weekend market in South Melbourne (check the schedule)
walking and people-watching at St. Kilda's beach

Day Trips (You can do these with bus tours) and IMO they're "MUST" sees:
the Great Ocean Road
the penguin parade at Phillip's Island

LOVE Melbourne. Have fun.

cristeen Jul 10th, 2014 08:14 PM

Will be in Melbourne for a few nights in November. Bookmarking.
Thanks!

KayF Jul 14th, 2014 02:03 AM

I love markets in general and the Queen Victoria Market is wonderful. They have a big fresh food section but also a huge area selling general goods - anything and everything. It's not on every day.

Wandering through the lanes and alleyways in Melbourne can be fun. Start at Flinders St Station, walk through Degraves St and keep on walking, via laneways, until you reach the Bourke St Mall. Often there are a few lanes all going in one direction, so you can double back and take a different route. Don't miss the Block Arcade and Royal Arcade.

The historic Shot Tower at Melbourne Central, under the newer clear dome, is worth a look too.

Kay

longhorn55 Jul 14th, 2014 12:34 PM

The Melbourne Gaol was a highlight of Melbourne for me.

Susan7 Jul 14th, 2014 01:12 PM

My favourite thing to do in Melbourne is to go to Heide Museum of Modern Art. The shows are always good, often much more interesting than NGV, and the historic site associated with patrons of Melbourne Modernism is also interesting. It's a short train ride from Flinders st Station then a bus. The cafe is amazing, run by an excellent Melbourne chef.

dottyp Jul 14th, 2014 07:02 PM

Healesville Sanctuary - great chances for close-up views of native animals.

Agree with Kay regarding QVM and the lanes and alleyways. Another vote for St Kilda and Philip Island.

ahotpoet Jul 29th, 2014 11:20 AM

All good ideas. I am going to be there Oct 24 which is a Friday. Is the Market on then?

sartoric Jul 29th, 2014 11:42 AM

www.qvm.com.au/
Also known affectionately as 'Vic Market' or 'Queen Vic', the Queen Victoria Market has been the heart and soul of Melbourne for more than a century.

Yes, it's open on Friday.

ahotpoet Jul 29th, 2014 11:46 AM

Thanks Sartoric,
You're coming to Sydney? Right? SO I will get to meet you?

sartoric Jul 29th, 2014 02:01 PM

Maybe, ahotpoet, the cheap fairs are gone, but I can still get there and back for about $80.
Still trying to decide whether this is a good idea (although I would like to meet some other Fodories)

ahotpoet Jul 29th, 2014 04:22 PM

I know what you mean. I don't post very much so the only way any of the other posters will know I exist is if I actually meet them of play Words with Friends with them.
Come on down!