Family vacation in June or July?

Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:00 PM
Chris

Family vacation in June or July?

With our kids almost grown, we are looking for a terrific family vacation spot before they leave for college and beyond. Since we have to use the summer months to travel, would it be worth it to travel to New Zealand in the summer? I know it is colder at that time, but would there still be outdoor activities to do? Could we rent a camper and stay warm enough if we stopped at parks along the way? Is it worth it or better to wait until we can visit during the NZ summer? Thanks for the advice!

Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:22 PM
ALF

The North Island will be an OK place to visit, as long as you don't go to higher elevations. Even the north part of the South Island will be a possible destination. Higher elevations, and the southern half of the South Island will be pretty 'winter', and not much fun (unless you are into snowsports). You will need to expect some cooler temperatures and rain, but it would be similar to visiting Northern California during the winter (not the best time, but do-able). Campervan hire rates are much cheaper at that time, and the Holiday Parks in almost every town usually have communal kitchen/dining areas which will make cooler nights much more pleasant.

Nov 25th, 2002, 12:54 AM
Kerry

Hi Chris
I think Alf has offered some good advise. June and July are our winter months and while the weather can be fine and sunny you could strike real winter conditions with snow and rain. Some lecturing I have been doing this year took me all over the country from the bottom of the South Island to the top of the North Island and all in July. Driving was never a problem and I had some lovely sunny days and no traffic on the roads.

As well as sightseeing, skiing and snow sports, whitewater rafting and a load of outdoor activities are possible. On a poor day it is great to soak in a hot thermal pool and watching the clouds and weather pass over.

Wine tasting, restaurants and cafes all wil be operating and you can have a great time.

If you need a hand with your itineray drop me a line.
Regards
Kerry

Nov 27th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Chris

Dear Alf and Kerry,

Thanks for the help! Based on your responses, I think we might give it a try. I'll write again when we begin the planning stage of this trip.

Chris

Search this Thread