Search

Dunk island or whitsunday

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunk island or whitsunday

Hi!

I'm planning a 3 week trip to Australia's east coast in september 2007.

I was thinking of going to mission beach for two nights and doing a day trip to dunk island and then going to airlie beach for two nights and doing a day trip to whitehaven beach and snorkel at hook island.

Would it be better to skip dunk island and do a second day trip in the whitsunday area (like to hamilton, daydream)instead? or would you keep dunk?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 03:04 AM

I'd go for neither plan.

Two places/four nights - a lot of time wasted moving around. One place/four nights - why two day trips? A lot of time wasted returning to land and a huge missed opportunity.

There are loads of trips from Airlie that allow you to sleep aboard - 2 nights or 3 nights. There is one at least that doesn't return to Airlie but offers accommodation on land at South Molle Island.

A night on the water in the Whitsundays is one of the great experiences - ask if you can sleep on deck - and it's even better.

www.whitsundaysailing.com.au

This is just one website; google brings up others.

have fun.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 11:51 PM

I agree with fuzzylogic - you should opt for either the Mission Beach area or the Whitsundays. Mission Beach and Dunk Island are beautiful and there are several trips you can do - including a wonderful reef trip from Clump Point. On the other hand, the Whitsundays are magical and you need several days to appreciate fully the whole area.

Also remember the time it takes to travel between the two places - Mission Beach to Airlie Beach takes approximately six hours by car.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 03:10 AM

And whilst in that neck of the woods, please don't forget Hinchinbrook Island, south of Mission and north of Townsville.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:29 AM

We did exactly what you're suggesting gaudi and absolutely loved both Dunk and the trip we did to Whitehaven from Hamilton Island - I wouldn't have liked to miss seeing either place. I think it's all just down to personal preferences and your circumstances. Enjoy your planning!