Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Dunedin,Christch.,Wellington,Napier,Rotorua,B.of Islands-Must do's?

Aug 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Okay, the search begins. Hoping someone here could be so kind as to offer some suggestions.
Looking for ideas in the above ports of call. Activities for and 83 year old mother who prefers easy strolls, culture (especially dancing), shows, scenery. She can walk, but we like to push her in a 'transfer chair' (like a wheelchair) when walking great distances. She also goes back and forth between a walker and a cane.
And for my 53 year old brother who likes nature, hiking, scenery, culture.

They'll be on a 14 night cruise in January with Holland America. Will it be possible to find activities in the ports that they can do together, or must they go their separate ways? They prefer to do NON-cruiseship excursions. But if my brother does his own thing in a port, then a ship's excursion would be best for my mom. Renting a car is also an option.

We know absolutely nothing about these ports, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

They'll also be spending 2 days in Sydney (pre-cruise). I'm sure they'll be pretty pooped out the first day, but they'll also be wanting to do something on the second day there.

Thanks so much!
Caroline
Wa state
Aug 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM

How long will they be in each port?
Aug 25th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Hello! Looks like the ship is in most ports from 7 am to 6 or 7 pm. Thank you
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM

In Rotorua, she might enjoy seeing Te Puia, the New Zealand Maori Arts and Crafts Institute.
http://www.tepuia.com/things-to-see-and-do/index.html

Wellington has Te Papa, the national museum, which is superb.

Lee Ann
Aug 26th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. Also, if they decide to rent a car in a couple different ports (we enjoy touring this way when in Alaska), which ports would those be? For my mom, seeing the Maori culture is high priority. Would that be possible via car (i.e., shows)?
Aug 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Rotorua is inland, about half an hour or so from Tauranga or wherever your ship actually docks. You'll want a car to get into Rotorua.

Lee Ann
Aug 26th, 2009, 04:25 PM

dscam -

A few ideas for their day in Christchurch -

1) Rent a car (or look into bus transport) and drive to Akaroa for the day. It's about 75 km from Christchurch. They could take a harbor cruise to see the Hector's dolphins and the sights of the area. The town itself is small, and easy to navigate on foot. There are several nice places for lunch and a short walk to a lighthouse.

www.akaroa.com

2) Rent a car and explore Sumner and the port town of Lyttelton.

One year we spent a full day exploring this area, including a bit of Akaroa - this is what we did:

We explored Sumner Beach and the esplanade, walked Taylor’s Mistake Walkway, a path of switchbacks along the coastal cliffs, which eventually lead us to the small seaside community of Taylor’s Mistake.

We then drove down to Taylor’s Mistake, literally the end of the road.

We backtracked to Sumner Beach, and took Evan’s Pass to Lyttelton. We parked and explored the tiny town of Lyttelton on foot and had lunch.

Back on the road, we continued our drive, passing Governors Bay and heading towards Akaroa. As we approached Akaroa, we chose the Tourist Summit Road, working our way down to Duvauchelle. We left via the Eastern Bay Tourist Drive, winding along the upper rim of Banks Peninsula. There are some fabulous views of Akaroa and the valley from up there.

We stopped at Otepatatu Scenic Reserve and walked to Bluff Viewpoint and on to Laverick’s Peak (50 minutes return, 1.1 mile). This was a great little walk with spectacular 360 degree views from the top.

We returned to Christchurch via Tourist Drives 1, 2, 3, a really nice drive with gorgeous views.

All of the above can easily be done in a full day. They'd probably skip the hikes, so they could spend more time in the town of Akaroa.

3) Take a guided day tour. Several listed here:

http://www.activities.nz.com/christc...ps-excursions/

A few ideas for their day in Dunedin:

1) City tour

http://www.citibus.co.nz/heritage.asp

2) Rent a car and explore on their own, maybe visit Larnach Castle, take a tour of the Cadbury Chocolate Factory (must book in advance) visit the train station, poke around down town, visit the albatross colony

http://www.larnachcastle.co.nz/index.pasp

http://www.cadburyworld.co.nz/home.html

http://www.albatross.org.nz/

Plenty to see and do.
Aug 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM

I have been doing research on these ports. There is a lot of information at cruisecrtic.com. Click on "Boards", then "Ports of Call" and then "Australia & New Zealand".

Hope this helps.