Driving from Darwin to Kakadu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning on renting a car in Darwin airport and driving to Jabiru in Kakadu NP. However, we arrive at 2:30pm, and Jabiru is 253km from Darwin. Will we have enough time to get there before dusk? The rental car insurance becomes void at dusk, as the chances of hitting an animal on the road skyrocket. We just want to be sure that we won't have to drive uninsured.

BTW, we'll be there in mid-May, and I've read on the internet that the sun sets there around 6:30pm. I'm not sure how much earlier 'dusk' is, but best case, that gives us only four hours to get off the plane, rent the car, and drive to Jabiru. Has anyone done this? Can you say whether or not we'll have time?

Thanks,
Dave.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:05 PM

G'day Dave,
you will be cutting it very fine.
Mike
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

OzMike,

With my lack of understanding for Australian English, I'm going to assume you mean that we won't have enough time.

That's too bad, since we'll essentially be wasting the rest of that first day in Darwin, and half the next day driving to Jabiru.

Thanks for the reply, though!

Dave.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:28 PM

I think there is some accommodation at the Bark Hut Inn which is midway between Dawin and Kakadu. Perhaps the NT tourist people could tell you more.
Incidentally, slow down if there are eagles on the road - they sit on the road kill and won't move until the last moment. Because they are such big birds, they take off very close to the ground.
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Hi Dave,

We are doing the same route in Darwin/Jabiru. After all the postings, we've decided to rent a car as well. We are now looking to book hotels in Darwin (1 night) and something near Kakadu (2 nights)...any suggestions? Have you booked day tours or are you exploring it on your own?
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:44 PM

If you have to stay somewhere en route to Kakadu, I can recommend Mary River Park, about 100 km out of Darwin. Nothing flash, but a nice, friendly family owned business right off the main road on the Mary River. They have cabins with ensuite baths in addition to a backpacker's lodge and camping. We stayed there in 2000 and had a fun time. Google "Mary River Park" and check out their web site.