Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Drive from Melbourne to Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/drive-from-melbourne-to-sydney-1198259/)

glendalim Feb 3rd, 2017 03:53 AM

Drive from Melbourne to Sydney

Hello all :)

I have planned a trip to Melbourne/Sydney in June. I will be arriving in Melbourne on 2 Jun and departing from Sydney on 11 June. After doing some preliminary research, here is what I have thus far for the drive from Melbourne to Sydney:

Dat 1 - 2: Melbourne
Day 3: Melbourne --> Lakes Entrance
Day 4: Lakes Entrance
Day 5: Lakes Entrance --> Gipsy Point
Day 6: Gipsy Point --> Tilba Tilba
Day 7: Tilba Tilba --> Jervis Bay
Day 8: Jervis Bay --> Sydney
Day 9 - 10: Sydney

I have found a wine tasting day tour to Yarra Valley and was planning to book that. I hope to receive some suggestions on where to go/what to do/accommodations in these places. Please also do let me know if this drive will be realistic enough for me to cover in such a short period of time.

Thank you all very much!

marg Feb 3rd, 2017 07:21 PM

The distances all look do-able. Plenty of accommodation in Lakes Entrance - large apartment block as you come into town (next to the visitors' centre) and several newish motels as you are leaving town, plus some older ones in between. The bowls club does a reasonably good meal in a pleasant atmosphere, plus lots of other choices in town.
Not much accommodation in Gipsy Point but Mallacoota has agood range, but then further to return to the main highway. Again with Tilba Tilba - there may be some B&Bs around but much better range of accommodation in Narooma, just a bit further north.
If you are planning to do a self-drive tour of the Yarra Valley, you could drive across country to the Princes Freeway and stay overnight at Warragul. This would avoid returning to the city and then braving the road works currently congesting the freeway.

Bokhara2 Feb 3rd, 2017 09:57 PM

The Queen's birthday holiday in NSW is Monday 12th. Most people will make a long weekend of it. We don't have parades etc., but you might keep an eye out for local festivals that may be if interest - or soak up accommodation in small places.

michelhuebeli Feb 7th, 2017 08:01 PM

While in Lakes Entrance, make sure you go to the nearby Raymond Island (a very short ferry ride across from Paynesville, about 45 minutes by car west of Lakes Entrance). As you wander around you will see koalas in the trees, right above your head over the sidewalks.

Bairnsdale is closer than L.E. itself, and a nice town with lots of lodging options.

BigRuss Feb 28th, 2017 07:27 AM

<<The Queen's birthday holiday in NSW is Monday 12th>>

The holiday has little to do with the actual queen's birthday, which is in April.

northie Feb 28th, 2017 06:46 PM

On bugger - do you mean we'll no longer have to blow out the candles on her birthday cake !!!