Done crying and only drinking a little.

Oct 27th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Done crying and only drinking a little.

I posted early October with tentative schedule for New Zealand. I looked at all the suggestions and have come up with this itinerary. We decided to do Australia first, then New Zealand because of school schedules. We thought it would be less crowded.

We will depart the US mid April and start our trip in Cairns.

Any recommendations/suggestions/changes to this schedule?

Arrive Cairns - drive to Port Douglas
5 nights in Port Douglas
fly to Sydney
5 nights in Sydney
fly to Queenstown
4 nights in Queenstown
Then 10 days to make our way north to Christchurch
3 nights Lake Wanaka
3 nights Te Anau
2 nights glaciers
the rest ????

This itinerary was based on flights and times. I can still add a few days at the end if I'm missing something. Flights won't be booked until I am sure of the itinerary.

We will be traveling in Australia the last two weeks of April and the first two weeks of May in New Zealand. What kind of weather can we expect? We are from Michigan and don't mind cooler weather.

What are thoughts on getting a camper for the 10 days in New Zealand driving north as opposed to a car? I don't like packing and unpacking and the idea of a camper is interesting, but since our stays will not be just one night, but rather 2,3,4 and 5 nights each, maybe a car is better. Just because we have a camper doesn't mean I intend to do lots of cooking. Any campers out there? How close to the towns are the RV campgrounds? Thanks everyone for the expert help.
Oct 27th, 2014, 06:18 PM

The NZ portion looks good to me rfbk50, but I'd reverse Te Anau and Wanaka - makes for a shorter drive from Wanaka to the glaciers which is a long enough day as it is.

I'm not a camper, but don't forget to take the cost of petrol into consideration - about $2.20 a liter, which can add up in a hurry.
Oct 27th, 2014, 06:27 PM

Forgot to mention -

I assume you're flying out of Christchurch? Why not spend a night or two there after the glaciers - two nights there would only give you one full day, as it takes a full day to get from the glaciers to Christchurch. Or you could break up the drive and spend a night in Arthur's Pass en route, although it's basically a hiking hub.
Oct 28th, 2014, 02:25 PM

I'd have two nights at Wanaka and save the other night to stay at Akoroa which is only about one hour south of Christchurch. Nice small French town.

Search this Thread