Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Direct flight from Hawaii [any island] to Sydney?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the first stages of planning a return to Sydney, Australia, and as much as I want to return, I don't think I can bare the LONG flight. I was thinking of booking separate flights, breaking up the trip, by staying in Hawaii before and after. The only thing is, although I've checked a few different ways, there seems to be no direct flight to Sydney from Hawaii. They seem to all divert back to California, and then to Sydney. Does anyone know if it's possible to go directly to Sydney? I'm hoping perhaps it is an option during busier times/seasons. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 04:59 PM

My parents stop in Hawaii (for the same reason as you - to break up the flight) whenever they come to visit me. But I think they have to go Honolulu - Auckland - Melb (or Sydney). A direct flight would good news...I'll keep checking your post to see if one exists!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:31 PM

We stopped in Honolulu both ways in February. We flew Quantas and there is or at least was a direct flight from Honolulu to Sydney. On our return we stayed in Fiji a week and then flew to Honolulu and stayed there a couple of days and then home. It is such a long flight from LA. I definitely would break it up. Check with Quantas.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:23 PM
ALF

Hawaiian Airlines just started nonstop service from Honolulu to Sydney about two months ago (http://www.hawaiianair.com/about/cor...ection_348.asp)
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:27 PM

Better still, check with Qantas, minus the "u" (Sorry, Eagle, I'm an incurable pedant.)

For the record - the name is an acronym, standing for Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service. This dates from the airline's formation in 1920, which makes Qantas the world's second oldest airline. Its history, from a single biplane in Winton, outback Queensland to today's fleet of 187 aircraft serving 142 destinations in 32 countries, is interesting stuff.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We flew last year from Honolulu to Sydney non-stop with Qantas. Flights leave about midnight getting into Sydney about 8am. The only flights to Australia from Hawaii leave from Honolulu. You can't fly to or from any other island without going via Honolulu.
Kay
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:52 PM

I just booked non stop roundtrip tickets from Honolulu to Sydney via Hawaiian Airlines. We are coming to Australia in December from Ohio and are making a stop over in Hawaii for the same reason. 23 hours for a one way trip was too long for us! Might as well make it a good pit stop.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 07:04 PM

There are a variety of flights from HNL to SYD, most of them absurdly overpriced. So I recommend you try another search engine to find the one or two fairly valued ones. Usually the canadian airlines are best except for seasonal specials. Probably do better if you further stopover in Fiji or Aukland if that strikes your fancy...
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 09:45 PM

Hi LoisL,
I live in Hawaii and there are definitely direct flights from here to Sydney. There is a tour agency called
Best Tours that books it. If you can get a copy of the Sunday Advertiser or Star Bulletin here, they can book it for you. There phone number is 808-593-9666.
Good luck,
galoha