Search

Dining Suggestions for Queenstown

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dining Suggestions for Queenstown

Hi Everyone,

We will be heading to Queenstown in August for a week of skiing and a bit of sight seeing. I'm hoping some of you might have suggestions for some great places for dinner.

There will be 18 of us so it will be necessary, I think, to book ahead. What is the restaurant like at the top of the gondola ride? Any other thoughts please?
Thanks
Stormer
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 12:37 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Does your party like Indian food?

If so, my favorite Indian restaurant of all time is in Queenstown - Little India.

Their sister restaurant in Arrowtown is also excellent - Mantra.

I'm suddenly craving Indian food...
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 12:41 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
https://www.littleindia.co.nz/home.aspx

http://www.mantra.net.nz/
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 09:19 AM

If you are taking a day off of skiing, and want an excursion, I'd recommend Amisfield Bistro (half way to Arrowtown) on Lake Hayes Road. They should be able to accommodate a group especially with the "Trust the Chef" menu. They do not stay open very late, though. Open Tues - Sunday 11.30am – 8pm, last reservations at 6pm.

Their wines have gotten quite good.
http://www.amisfield.co.nz/experiences/restaurant

At the other end of the spectrum, Hell Pizza delivers

http://hellpizza.co.nz/
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 07:16 PM

Hi, Stormbird.
One of my partners (of the business kind) is a frequent visitor to Queenstown. For good (upper end) dining, he suggests Wai, Pier 19 or Boardwalk. Have a look at their websites and, if they are not the sort of thing that you are after, let me know and I will get a few more suggestions.
Rob.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM

If you are looking for some less upscale places, Fergburger has the best burgers in town! It's a very casual hamburger joint but the selection is amazing. Try the Sweet Bambi (with deer meat).

More info and pics in our NZ post at http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot.com/
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM

We loved the restaurant at the top of the gondola ride. The ride itself is fun and the view of the city exceptional. The restaurant served an interesting assortment of food, the view was fantastic and people very friendly. We enjoyed the large selection of seafood as well as the roasts and speciality dishes like the venison. We loved Queenstown, I hope you will have a great vacation.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 08:31 AM

2 upmarket restaurants where we ate extremely well and that would definitely need bookingahead:
Botswana Butchery - with an excellent NZ food & wine menu right on the waterfront
and Bunker, hidden away in the town centre with a trendy cocktail bar & music above, very cosy decor big open fire... maybe not suitable for party of 18 but you could give it a go.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thanks for those responses. I have found a minute to check out your suggestions and mmmmm they look good. I'm not sure Mel, about the Indian - I must confess to not being a big fan - but majority rules so I will definitely put it to the troops and wouldn't hesitate to go if they wanted to.

Your selections look divine Rob - thanks for that - I think one of those three will be a definite as our 'fancy' night out - actually it will be hard to choose one but I like the look of Wai!

Thanks for your comments re the Gondola Restaurant stpetereb. The only thing is the timing restriction if you wanted to dine early - you have to vacate for the late seating. But the troops might be up for that as well.

We'll be there for a week and so I thought maybe 1 dinner at a fine dining restaurant would be nice.

Carrom, I love the look of Bunker and will definitely make enquiries there.

Thanks everyone for all your help - I think I've got plenty to work with and will let you know how we found your suggestions.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 08:02 PM

Hi Stormer,

My personal favourite in town is Les Alpes..French restaurant that opened a few months ago. They are very accomodating with groups and they do cheese fondue and raclette in the winter which is just great for sharing! I have been there a few times and always had a great experience.

www.lesalpes.co.nz

I hope that helps.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 04:02 AM

When we were in Arrowtown about 3 years ago the Postoffice Restaurant there had just won the best restaurant in NZ. As I was being taken out for my birthday that is what I chose.We found it superb , meals were affordable(wine not so ) although there was a good wine for$28. The rest seem to then jump from $80 to 2000.I would think that 18 guests though might be their limit. If you look at my profile I say this is the best I have ever been in
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Looks like Botswana Butchery is a definite must, Carrom. A friend was there last year and has raved about the place.
Oh my I'd better do a lot of skiing in order to be able to enjoy all these wonderful recommendations or my weight will start to go through the roof!

We'll be there for the week so we'll see how many restaurants we can get to!