Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Dining and sites??Sydney / Port Douglas ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/dining-and-sites-sydney-port-douglas-155788/)

deb Jan 9th, 2003 05:37 PM

Dining and sites??Sydney / Port Douglas ??

Looking for some hot spots to check into while we are in Australia the last part of April. Only have two nights in Sydney and Port Douglas, which is not enough, I know !! Appreciate any suggestions, Thanks, Deb

Anna Jan 9th, 2003 09:11 PM

Two new trendy restaurants in Sydney are Bondi Icebergs (in Bondi) and Lotus in Potts Point. Don't know about Port Douglas though!

Pete Jan 10th, 2003 01:22 PM

Going Bannanas in Port Douglas receives some great reports.<BR>Pete.

deb Jan 10th, 2003 05:34 PM

Pete, thanks for giving me the update on the farmstay at GOR. Also, on the Going Bananas restaurant. We won't be up at Port Doug long, but always up for food suggestions. Also, we will be there on Easter Sunday. Wonder if everything closes up tight, like we do here in California. ??? Thanks, Deb

Pete Jan 10th, 2003 10:37 PM

Deb, Check my message to Kim under the heading of GREAT BARRIER REEF INFO.<BR>There is some info at the end of the message which was meant for you. About the farm stay etc.<BR>Pete

Debbie Jan 11th, 2003 06:54 PM

Hi,<BR>I hate to disagree w/Pete but my friend and I walked out of Going Bananas after a drink and an appetizer. Service was slooow--just putting in our drink order was an ordeal--and the starter we ordered was really yucky. In addition, the owner (wearing a caftan--he's a trip! :-) kept trying to put food in our mouths. Yes, you read that right. He tried to feed us! (first thing he stuck in our mouths was some kind of gummy snake that he used icky scissors to cut a chunk of, later on he came to our table w/a fresh strawberry that was laced w/some liquor. It tasted good but I'm old enough to feed myself ;-). <BR><BR>I was a bit weirded out by this 'special treatment' but figured I'd go along w/it. My friend, however clamped her mouth shut like a kid getting medicine!<BR><BR>We had nice dinners at Salsa and think it was called Sassi in Port Douglas. Going Bananas wasn't for us and we're 2 single girls looking to have fun!<BR><BR>While in Sydney, I had good meals at Sailor Thai (in the Rocks) MG Garage in Surrey Hills...a great place to go for drinks is the 41st floor of the ANA Building....<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Debbie<BR><BR>Oh, if you're in Pt D go to the Iron Bar and watch the cane toad races. Sounds crazy, but had a blast!

justine Jan 12th, 2003 03:45 AM

I thought the food, atmosphere , and prices at gone or going bananas was just great. And the service was excellent as well as lots of fun.<BR>The cane toads were funny as well. I actually had the winner. Although I must say they sort of weirded me out a little to begin with.<BR>just!!!!!!

Rich Jan 12th, 2003 08:50 AM

I guess its not the most original of restaurants to visit whilst we were in Sydney but Planet Hollywood filled our bellies and tickled our taste buds, it was quite a good atmosphere, but the same all over the world I guess.<BR>We would go again and the kids loved it<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Rich

deb Jan 12th, 2003 02:13 PM

Hello, agiain. I loved all of your ideas, and the cane toad races sound very &quot;interesting&quot; ! Two drastically different opinions on the Going Bananas Restaurant, though. Might just have to drop by and check it out for our own experience. Also, is Bondi easy to reach for only a short visit, say, an afternoon/evening/ meal and sightseeing. We won't have a car. Thanks so much for all your input. DEB

Anna Jan 12th, 2003 11:22 PM

Yes, Bondi is an easy trip, take bus 380 or 382 from Elizabeth Street in the city for an easy trip there. 30 mins via bus.

Jules Jan 13th, 2003 09:32 AM

Deb,<BR><BR>You can't miss lunch or dinner @ Silky Oaks Lodge in Mossman! It's only a short trip from Port Douglas and one of our favorite memories from out time in OZ! A must do!!! You can check out the restaurant at http://www.silkyoakslodge.com.au/silky/default.htm (click on dining). also, while in sydney (my husband and i only had three nights so it was short as well!) we did have dinner at &quot;forty-one&quot; - located at level 41 of the chifley tower. although quite pricey (i don't know what your budget is) we had an incredible view and a most delicious and gourmet meal there! have fun in oz!

deb Jan 14th, 2003 09:27 AM

Thank, all for your suggestions. I have another question. I have traveled the 14 hour LA to Sydney leg twice, and have not been able to ever fall asleep. Has anyone done this with success, and what was your secret.?? Please help me, as I am ready to kill someone by the time we finally land. hehe Deb

Debbie Jan 14th, 2003 03:48 PM

Hi Deb (good name, BTW!)<BR>The secret is my friend Chuck and his prescription pad ;-)Before I left, I got some Ambien, 10mg. I never ever take sleeping pills and that teensy tiny tab knocked me out for well over 8 hrs of blissful sleep. The best part about it was that I didn't feel hung over when I woke up. Great stuff!<BR><BR>I recently flew to London but forgot the Ambien and spent the 8hr flight to London wiggling around in my seat the whole time. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in the plane was ready to kill me! Hehe Just say yes to drugs!<BR><BR><BR>Debbie<BR><BR>

deb Jan 14th, 2003 06:51 PM

Hi, and thanks Deb, for the Ambiem hint. I would be in heaven if I could sleep at least half of those 14 hours, FOR SURE. 10mg. is that a high dose, so they make lower dosage.? Want the good stuff!! <BR>Also, when it comes to a &quot;smaller&quot; (not large Quicksilver) type trip to the reef, does anyone have first hand experience. I know you can get a little sea sick on the smaller boats, and we are first time snorklers/divers. Read about Kwells (sp) which is suppose to really help. Want a personal /eco feel,with friendly crew. A nice lunch would also be nice. We will be in Port, not Cairnes. Thanks again, Deb

Debbie Jan 15th, 2003 06:54 PM

Hi again, Deb!<BR>Ambien comes in 5mg. and 10mg. My friend wrote the script for 10mg. because 1: it's more economical 2: you can easily split the tablet. I did a 'test run' a couple nights before the trip and slept fine with 5mg. but knew myself on a plane and went for the whole dose. You have to know your body. Mine's not used to sleeping meds so that's probably why I was able to sleep so long. For me, taking Ambien was like a miracle. I never felt jet lag and I flew to Australia from Atlanta by way of LA.<BR><BR>As for the reef trip, check out Wavelength if you're a snorkler. They have small boats and take about 30 ppl max.(no divers). A Marine Biologist goes along on every reef trip and on your 2nd of 3 'dives' gives you an interpretive view of the ocean. The girl on my trip was like a mermaid; she'd swim down 15-20 ft., bring up a giant clam or something, talk about it and then gently place it back, all while we floated in a circle around her. Very cool. Because of her, I got to see a lot more than I noticed on my own. It was a great day and they hand out seasick pills before you go out and on the way back too. I was amazed at how well their stuff worked compared to Bonine and the other stuff I've taken in the past. No drowsiness and no nausea made me a very happy girl!<BR><BR>If you have any other questions, ask away!<BR><BR>You're going to have so much fun that you might not want to go home!<BR><BR>Debbie

deb Jan 16th, 2003 09:09 AM

Debbie, thanks for all the great information. I have heard of Wavelength, so we will look into them, for sure. Yes, I have been to Australia twice before, as my sis lives in Victoria, and definately, you are right, I don't want to come home. Ideally, would love to visit 6 months out of EVERY year if we could. Maybe someday ! ! ! <BR><BR>Deb

bill simpson Jan 16th, 2003 10:04 AM

Hi Deb. Here's another vote for Going Bananas. Also ate at Iron Bar several times &amp; enjoyed it. Mangoes on the other side of the street was also pretty good. I was really disappointed in Salsa. In Sydney we eat at some of the recommended places but was generally disappointed. Really liked the pub food in Sydney at places such as the Mercentile in the Rocks area. Nothing fancy but good atmosphere &amp; enjoyable.