Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   DESPERATE-GBR HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/desperate-gbr-help-385204/)

melproffit Jun 25th, 2008 07:34 PM

DESPERATE-GBR HELP

IN DIRE NEED OF ANSWERS-BOOKING SOON.
1-IS IT POSSIBLE TO ACCESS THE SOUTHERN END OF GBR FROM BRISBANE?
AND HOW TO DO?
2-IF NOT BRISBANE WHAT IS NEXT CLOSEST BY AUTO?
3-WOULD WHITSUNDAYS BE BETTER OPTION?
SALLY IN SEATTLE-YOU OUT THERE? I'M IN KIRKLAND
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

pat_woolford Jun 25th, 2008 09:53 PM

No, the southernmost point of Great Barrier Reef is Lady Elliot Island, a coral cay, some 300 kms north of Brisbane (about 4 hours drive) from Hervey Bay or Bundaberg for flights.
Lady Elliot has an airstrip - www.ladyelliot.com.au

Whitsundays are a group of islands off Airlie Beach, boats go out from mainland at Shute Harbour and Hamilton Island has an airport - some islands have fringing coral but you need to go further out for GBR proper. The GBR runs from north of the the top of Queensland down to Lady Elliot and is around 2,000km in length.

What time of year are you thinking of?

afterall Jun 26th, 2008 04:31 AM

Why are you going to be in Brisbane? How are you getting there? Is that your Australian Landfall?

melproffit Jun 26th, 2008 02:19 PM

TAHNKS FOR THE INFO.WE WILL BE BOOKING AN AUSSIE AIRPASS THIS WEEK FOR DEPARTURE AUG30 FOR 2 WEEKS. WE ARE TRYING TO SAVE SOME $$ BY STAYING IN 1 ZONE WITH OUR INTERNAL OZ FLIGHTS-HENCE THE BRISBANE WHICH WILL BE OUR ENTRY POINT WE THINK. STILL PLANNING THE ROUTING FOR FLIGHTS. RIGHT NOW IT'S-ENTER BRIS, THEN ADELAIDE, THEN SYDNEY THEN HOME.
DRIVING UP TO HERVEY OR BUNDABERG LOOKS LIKE OUR BEST PLAN FOR GBR.
WHITSUNDAYS PROBABLY TOO TIME CONSUMING AND $$$.

ANY REC'S ON BOATS OUT OF BUNDABERG/HERVEY WOULD BE APPRECIATED. ESPECIALLY GOOD WHALE WATCH OPPS! THANKS.

SnRSeattle Jun 27th, 2008 04:21 PM

Mel, I am actually in Bellevue (-: You can find us in the phone book under R. Simmons if you want to speak to me about our trips to Oz (I have lots of opinions!!!) Is your flight going straight to Brisbane or stopping first in Sydney (as most of them do)? If the latter, I'd go to Adelaide first to save time in an airplane. Are you snorkelers or divers? We looked into Lady Elliot a little bit--do a search for it here. Water might be a bit coolish in August so see if the boat you look into rents wet suits, or bring your own. Australia is awesome and I know you'll have a great time.
Sally in Seattle

johhj_au Jun 27th, 2008 05:30 PM

get yourself a car and potter up the coast to Hervey Bay..and on to agnes water. Go out to lady Musgrave island and maybe fitzroy reef.You will need a wet suit in august.

an alternative is roughinhg it for a night on lady elliot.

maybe take a small 4 wheel drive adventure tour ex noosa to fraser island.