Search

Denarau Island

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 12:51 PM
Andrée

Denarau Island

Would anyone have any comments on the Sheraton Royal Resort on Denarau Island? How are the beaches & water? Busy or quiet area? Thanks!

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 01:23 PM
John

Hi, Andree, <BR>It's a lovely hotel, rooms comfortable, food OK if a little institutional. VERY North American feeling, the hotel would be at home on the Big Island. It seems rather disconnected from Fiji (aside from the evening tourist shows). <BR>It's a 15-minute taxi ride from Nadi airport, in a quiet area (no noise from the golf course at night.) Don't know how the hotel fared in the storms/flood...other travelers? <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 01:32 PM
Andrée

Thanks John. I`ve been told that the beach is composed of black volanic sands, therefore make the water not very blue and translucent...is that true?

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 01:43 PM
John

Hi again, <BR>I don't recall that the sand was black; when we were there it was quite windy and the water was too turbulent to see its clarity. I'd be surprised if it wasn't nice, though...there are too many nice areas in Fiji for the likes of Sheraton to pick a poor one for this kind of investment. <BR>I might be wrong, though. It's possible white sand may have been imported (a la the Big Island, again) in order to make nice beaches.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 12:07 PM
Andrée

Hi again John, <BR>What time of the year did you go? I`m thinking of going in mid-May. Wet season should be finished by then... <BR>Thanks again for all your info!

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 01:42 PM
John

Hi, <BR>We were there in November. It was HOT. The Fiji Met office says May is past the peak of the wet season. Check out http://www.met.gov.fj/climate.htm

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 10:33 PM
Michael

Andree, <BR>Going in May should be ok, June/July is the best overall for weather, there are 2 sheratons on the island , the Royal and the Sheraton Fiji, the Fiji is the nicer and if possible if it is in your budget and there are more than 2 of you stay in the Sheraton Villas. There are 2 beaches (if you stay in one Sheraton all facilities in both are available to you), the sand is not the greatest, it is basically black, however the water facilities are great (water ski, jet ski, canoes, cats etc) and the harbour is safe. Denarau is not really an island in the true Fiji sense, it is connected to the mainland by a bridge that is no longer than 100 yards, we stayed there in July of this year and loved it but do keep in mind it is not necessarily a venue that is going to let you live close to a traditional Fiji environment. <BR>RGds <BR>Michael

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 06:44 AM
Andree

Michael, Thanks for the info. We have 5 free nights to use at the Sheraton...that`s why I`m looking that this facility! I just don`t want to be disappointed by the beach & water if we travel that far...I want the crystal clear water and lot of sunshine! Will I find it?!! <BR> <BR>We were in Australia 2 years ago and it was fantastic! You have a beautiful country.

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 06:18 PM
Michael

Andre, <BR>The resort is better than the beach. You will not get crystal clear water and sandy beaches unless you venture further afield. You would need to be on an outer island to really get the "TV" picture of Fijian beaches - although the Fijian resort on the coral coast does have a nice beach. Many of the photos you will see in brochures are misleading as what can look like a beautiful beach can be a very uncomfortable broken coral beach. Anyway our family really enjoyed Fiji , the Sheraton complex was first class, the kids loved the water and the activities, the beach was very average. <BR>Rgds <BR>Michael

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 06:56 PM
thomas

I agree with all the previous. V.Good resort - hopeless beach (lets not beat about the bush) BUT the Sheraton is right next to the Denarau wharf where all the day trips to the islands leave. For about $50 Australian ($30 US) you can take a day trip out to the Mamanucas (islands)where you can use all the facilities of the resorts. These are postcard perfect. <BR>That way you could have the best of both worlds - perfect beach during the day and Sheraton luxury at night. <BR> <BR>May should be fine and because its out of our peak period not many of us pesky Australians about