Day trip scuba diving - Cairns

Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Day trip scuba diving - Cairns

My wife and I are looking for recomendations for scuba diving companies. We are looking for 4 day trips, complete equipment. We are both PADI certified.

We are not going to do a live aboard for many reasons.

If anyone one can recomend a company that does guided day trips we would appreciate it

Thanks
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM

Tusa is a well-established dive company for day trips out of Cairns. Guided dives are available. www.tusadive.com
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Are there other dive shop in Cairns that people recomend?
Aug 6th, 2007, 04:07 AM

arenit; normal protocol here is to thank anyone who goes to trouble of recommending a trip.

Suggest you google dive websites out of Cairns; you'll probably get more answers than you find on this forum.
Aug 6th, 2007, 06:43 AM

greetings areinert

I'm with Pat. Tusa operates a great day trip operation. They have all the rental gear you will need.

It's ashame that a 3 or 4 day live-aboard trip is not an option.

You will see the same things on most day trips, the inner reef sites are wonderful, but the outer reef offers a lot more to see.

I would thank Pat, she spends a lot of time here answering questions. Her advice is top notch

Cheers

Steve

just 7 weeks now until our 7 day live-aboard trip on SOF begins
Aug 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the information, I was only hoping to compare prices, not quesiton the recomendation.

We could do a live aboard, but my wife was concerned with motion sickness (and yes I pointed out the 90 min one way trip by boat each day compared to the sailing out and then staying on board). We were also concerned that we would get bored on the vessel as compared to having things to do in town.

Would appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

Thanks
Aug 8th, 2007, 06:24 AM

We went on a 4 night liveaboard - the Spirit of Freedom - and had a great time. It was rough during the night crossings but neither of us are affected by motion sickness. The daytime was very calm when we were moored and diving.

Regarding boredom - well, doing 3 or 4 dives a day doesn't allow much time for boredom - and in between we always seemed to be eating (very good food came out of a teeny kitchen).

You might want to consider the 3 night Spirit of Freedom itinerary as it doesn't go as far out and might be smoother -

http://www.spiritoffreedom.com.au/

If you would like to see (lots of) pictures send me an email and I'll send a link to an album

eseibertca AT yahoo DOT ca

Aug 8th, 2007, 05:19 PM

I would simply search this forum. There have been many posts here related to diving and snorkeling. You could also go out and use google and just search for dive charters in Cairns Australia.

Other ops, Pro Dive, in Port Douglas there is the Calypso.

We have dove both of these and found both to be very safe and most enjoyable.

But once you have been on board the Spirit of Freedom for 7 days of non-stop diving...you would never consider a day trip again. And with 20 other divers from around the world - and all the diving - no one gets bored.

Cheers

Steve
Aug 11th, 2007, 09:50 AM

I also get seasick, but have opted to go on the Spirit of Freedom 3 day trip because I like snorkeling more than I hate being seasick! We tried to get scuba certified, but it didn't work out, but the diving is supposed to be fantastic and the snorkeling, too, on this trip (the three day Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs) that stays more in protected areas, but still on the outer reef. The 90 minute both ways in the boat, even though we went in a large catamaran, wasn't the highlight of our last trip to the GBR. We are also going in October that is supposed to be the calmest month. The last trip was in July which usually has higher winds and rougher seas. Good luck and happy diving!
Sally in Seattle