Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Day trip from Adelaide (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/day-trip-from-adelaide-443900/)

dkw Jun 20th, 2004 03:50 PM

Day trip from Adelaide

We will be in Adelaide for 2-1/2 days in September before heading to Alice Springs on the Ghan. We would like to take a day trip outside the city. We are considering McLaren Vale and Victor Harbor. Is this a doable day trip, or too much for one day. Does anyone have suggestions for which wineries to visit?

We are considering renting a car for the day. We are from the U.S., so used to driving on the right hand side of the road. Is the route to McLaren Vale and Victor Harbor an extremely busy road that would be difficult on our first day of left-handed driving, or more rural?

Thanks,
D

Lina88 Jun 21st, 2004 02:22 AM

Hi there, when i was in Adelaide we went to the Barossa Valley wineries which were really good. None of the roads in oz that i travelled along were really busy, and i live in london so i know what busy roads are!!

Grab yourself an automatic car and you'll be fine.

ishki Jun 21st, 2004 09:57 PM

The McLaren Vale/Victor Harbor is a good day trip for you. Make sure you get an early start. Try and spend some time in Goolwa as well as Victor Harbor - it's full of historic buildings and well worth a look. Have a good trip!

celine13 Jun 22nd, 2004 01:33 AM

Hi there. Very do-able. If you are wanting to rent a car, go for it. The roads in ADL are very easy to navigate but do remember, we drive on the left side of the road.

When you get to Mclaren Vale, there is a very useful tourist info centre. Pop in and get the wine circuit map. You can easily spend half a day tasting the wine and having a yummy lunch (perhaps some bush tucker?) at the many wineries. There is a Mrs. Wiggly's (I forget by whom) but it's a lovely mild red, something like bubbly Ribena! Delicious!

Victor Harbour is about an hours drive from the heart of ADL city also in the direction of the South where McLaren Vale is. Do do the walk onto the island and if you're lucky, catch a glimpse of the penguins in their little holes!! It's Winter now in ADL and there should be some whale watching going on. Hang on, you're there in Sept so that will be over but you will have missed the awful wet weather we are having now so that's good!

Barossa Valley is about 1.5 hours North of the city but there is where Australia's more famous wines come from eg: Penfold, Wolf Blass and Jacob's Creek. One again, easily half a day just doing the circuit (TIC in the heart of Tanunda town with very helpful ladies who can direct you to a wine of your liking).

When you are in ADL, be sure to visit Central Market on Grote St. Absolutely yummy food and the most freshest veges and fruits you can find. You should be able to stock up for your long journey into Alice ( I doubt there are fruit fly restrictions there!!).

I personally recommend the curry laksa in the new food court-it's fantastic!!

Have fun!!

celine13 Jun 22nd, 2004 01:42 AM

Just one more thing, just be extra careful when driving along to Victor Harbour. For some reason, that stretch of road ( the curvy bits) are notorious for fatal accidents and there have been suggestions to re-do the entire stretch but it's way too expensive.

So drive safely and watch out for any road kill!! :):)

dkw Jun 22nd, 2004 06:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. I feel better about driving now that I know the roads are not busy roads.
McLaren Vale and Victor Harbor (and now Goolwa) look like a great day trip itinerary. And Celine13, thanks for the bonus tips about the market and curry laksa!!! Most assuredly, a must do!!

Thanks,
D

ishki Jun 23rd, 2004 12:34 AM

If you're looking for somewhere for lunch, I can recommend The Flying Fish at Port Elliot which is on the road between Victor Harbor and Goolwa. The restaurant is right on the beach with lovely views. Have a great trip!