Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Day-Dreaming; Advice on Finding Cheap(er) Flights to New Zealand from New York (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/day-dreaming-advice-on-finding-cheap-er-flights-to-new-zealand-from-new-york-557374/)

Fraggle Sep 9th, 2005 12:23 PM

Day-Dreaming; Advice on Finding Cheap(er) Flights to New Zealand from New York

I'd really like to go to New Zealand in the next six months. I have some flexibility with my vacation time at work. Does anyone have any pointers for the best time to look for flights to New Zealand. What's a "good" price? Would it be worth looking into flying to London and then getting a seperate flight from there?
Thanks

lizF Sep 9th, 2005 12:59 PM

Qantas flies to NY and you could get a flight AFTER Oct 1st for about 1365 US
It flies into Sydney then goes onto Auckland then Auckland direct to LA return.
Alternatively have a look at Hawaiian airlines which often can be cheaper from the US with a change of aircraft in Hon to either Australia or Auckland. If you get specials on those flights you often can get a good cheap flight going that way. Another is flying on a special to Tahiti and getting a special from there to NZ. Depends on the airlines specials at any time and the time of year. After Oct 1st its off-peak season.
Another possibility is with Malaysian Airlines from NY to Malaysia then to NZ or Cathay Pacific/ Philipine Airlines. Going via London will only put up the price.

LN Sep 9th, 2005 06:41 PM

Hi

You can go to New Zealand from NYC but you'll probably go through LA. We have found it much easier to fly to LA using Jetblue or Southwest on the $99 dollar fares and spend the night. This truly reduces jet lag.We are much more ready for the Pacific flight by doing this.

I would recommend that you sign up for emails from Qantas and Air New Zealand specials and go from there.

This is a current special from Air New Zealand and I believe Qantas is offering a similar deal.

LOS ANGELES to
CHRISTCHURCH
Special Offer
Valid for travel commencing
18 Sep - 20 Nov 05

from
$792

This would give you your flight from NYC to LA and then LA to Christchurch to be about $1000 US. That's actually a pretty good price.

I have looked into getting flights from London but so far have not found any great deals. If you find any please post them.

Good luck and enjoy NZ

Barbara_in_CT Sep 10th, 2005 05:40 AM

New York to LA on Jet Blue would mean chosing Long Beach, Ontario or another airport in southern California. You could rent a car to get between airports. International flights go from LAX. An overnight stop in the LA area would certainly assist in coping with jetlag.

HOpe your dream comes true.

Jed Sep 10th, 2005 06:18 AM

You might be able to get a really cheap flight by flying through some other country, but you have to decide saving how much money is worth the inconvenience and wear and tear on your body and psyche.

I agree with most of the previous advice. I suggest that you consider going only from NYC to either Cal, then to AKL or CHC, with a stay over in Cal. You can get a cheap rate for an airport hotel on Priceline. That is what we did.

FYI - Air NZ flies from LAX and SFO.