Best Books for Australia

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Books for Australia

I know Fodor's offers many excellent books, but are there any others that you out there would recommend? Last trip I followed the advice I read here and ripped out pages. That way I took just the pages I needed for that day with me in a little baggie. It worked pretty good, except for the shuffling through them can get tedious. Suggestions please! Will be visiting Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns and still open for the rest. Thanks so much.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Lonely Planet does a really good job with Australia. If you want more detailed info about these places than you'd find in the LP Australia book, you can get specific guides for Sydney and Melbourne and the LP Queensland and Great Barrier Reef would cover Cairns. All can be purchased through Amazon or, perhaps ordered through your local bookstore.
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 03:14 AM

i very much liked top ten Sydney by DK. Luxe city guides (you can get Sydney and melbourne) just google luxe city guides. and My DK Australia book
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 05:27 AM

I read In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson. A very entertaining read as the author describes his journeys through the country with a lot of history thrown in. I read it on the plane on the way and it was perfect for painting the picture as what to expect.

Ken
Old Jun 21st, 2008, 06:01 AM

Yes, Bill Bryson's book is entertaining, but as a travel planner he makes a good....humorous author. I know well one of the cities he visited and his skills in planning for accomodations, meals and activities in that city were nil. But it was funny.