Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > Critique my driving trip - Prague / Krakow / Budapest

Critique my driving trip - Prague / Krakow / Budapest

Jan 25th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Critique my driving trip - Prague / Krakow / Budapest

We are a couple about 50 years old and this is our first time to Eastern Europe (apart from doing part of Yugoslavia some 20 or more years ago). We have done a lot of driving in Europe in the past. We also love being out in the countryside and smaller villages rather than just confining ourselves to major towns.

I do have a bit of concern as to how easy it is driving in these countries as compared to western Europe. How good are the roads and also is it reasonable easy to navigate? The place names in some of these countries are not as easy to recognize as elsewhere in that there often seems to be a few towns where part of the name is replicated. I am wondering that as we zoom by will I be able to differentiate between the different names in time. We will get a GPS if possible which should make things substantially easier and, in any event, have used via Michelin to guage times and distances.

This is my plan for the moment. I would appreciate your comments.

Arrive in Prague 5th May

Prague - 5 nights (staying with friends)

Cesky Krumlov - 2 nights (3 hrs drive from Prague)

Olomouc - 1 night (4 1/2 hrs drive from CK with a quick look at Telc on the way)

Krakow - 3 nights (3 1/2 hrs drive)

Zakopane - 2 nights (2 hrs drive)

Levocca or Bardejov - 2 nights (1 1/2 hrs drive)

Eger - 1 night (3 1/2 hrs drive)

Budapest - 3 nights (2 hrs drive)

As you can see there are no very long driving days. I gave serious consideration to returning to Prague from CK and then flying direct to Krakow. I was not keen on having to drive into Krakow city and we will then have to leave the car for several days in the car park. It would also have given us the advantage of another day in Krakow.

However, after checking the car rental rates it is about $700 for a 12 day hire from Prague (including drop off fee for Hungary) and if we start from Krakow it is approx $1400 for a six day hire. Hence we are back to driving.

Any thoughts you have on the above would be appreciated.
Jan 25th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Apologies everyone, I hadn't noticed that I was still on the Australia board until after I hit the button. I will repost on the Europe board.
Jan 31st, 2007, 10:38 PM

f you are on the Australia Board, you are lost!!!

A/D
Jan 31st, 2007, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

It wouldn't be the first time by any means A/D altough this would probably take the cake!!!

Search this Thread