North Island - need suggested itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out that my husband has a biz trip to Auckland in about 3 wks. So I'm trying to plan a little vacation there. Such short notice and I don't know where to begin. We'll be there for 7 days together before he needs to start working. We're booking flights into/out of Auckland. Don't think we'll have enough time to see South Island, so pls give me some suggestions on what to see and do in Auckland and surrounding area. Thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM

If you'd rather spend your time on the South Island, you could fly from Auckland to Queenstown or Christchurch.

If not, here is a link to how Mr. Pickle and I spent 10 days on the North Island in April 2004: http://community.webshots.com/user/ElendilPickle

Lee Ann
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM

In Auckland while he's working, go to the bottom of Queen street and take a couple of day ferry trips eith Devonport or Waiheke Vineyards for lunch). If you are keen on golf there are places like Kauri Cliffs north of Auckland as well as a few in the Auckland region. Waitangi North of Auckland is interesting. Waitomo Caves South of Auckland is easily achievable if you are driving, then maybe to Rotorua for the night then Taupo the next night - that would take you around 4 hours to get back to Auckland. Stop at little towns as you go. Watch the peak hour traffic in Ak can be frustrating
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 02:45 PM

I joined my husband in late February in Palmerston North and from there we drove to Napier for 1 night to see the Art Deco buildings which was very interesting. Then we drove to Taupo for 2 nights to see the volcanoes, Huka Falls, Craters of the Moon and Wai-o-Tapu on our way north to spend 3 nights in Whitianga on the Coromandel Peninsula. It was a short trip, but we saw a lot without overdoing it. From Whitianga we drove back to Auckland to fly home.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:32 AM

We used Auckland as a base and went on day trips to West Coast where the film The Piano was made. Pretty amazing beach and so close to Auckland. We did wineries, sailed on an Americas Cup boat. Rather than drive to Rotorua we did a tour, less tiring. We stayed in Ponsonby..great eats, galleries, people watching . There is a bus that goes around the city all day and through ponsonby.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Jed

My feeling is that must-sees on the NI are Rotorua and Waitomo.

Other excursions are Bay of Plenty, Devonport.

One itinerary would be:

Akl - 2 nights
>Rotorua 2 nights
>Waitomo > Bay of Plenty 2 nights
(or > Taupo 1 night > Waitomo >AKL)
back to AKL
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM

I think the Volcanoes national park and Lake Taupo would be interesting to someone from California. It would be easy to tack on to a trip to Rotorua and Waitomo. I would say Russell, Pahia and Bay of Islands would be second in line for someone with access to sailing and coastal scenery.