Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Cost of Transportation Sydney airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/cost-of-transportation-sydney-airport-312530/)

bajaflash May 1st, 2003 04:50 AM

Cost of Transportation Sydney airport

What are the options and cost of airport to hotels? Four Seasons to be exact. Taxi? Bus? After 14 1/2 hours (really more as we orginate in Palm Springs at 4:30 in the afternoon to LAX and then a 10:30 PM flight on to Sydney. Just typing those times make me exhasted. Vicky

alice13 May 1st, 2003 05:07 AM

what a curious post. You can afford to stay at a place like the 4 Seasons (the cost of one night there for a double - about 250 AUD - yes - would keep 2 people quite happily in a good Sydney hostel) - and yet take the time to ask about ways to get there from the airport!! I would have thought you'd be into a taxi - cost irrelevant.
But anyway, there are shuttle buses that will drop you at the door - 8.50rr tio isesr anyegDeasonst ayay

margo_oz May 1st, 2003 05:13 AM

Taxi cost will be about $AUS25-30, or so. About $US15-18. For 2 tired people it's probably worth it.

The airport bus, which is probably what the previus poster referred to, is about $8.50/person, I think. It'll take you to Circular Quay, which is about 100 yards from Four Seasons hotel.

You could catch the train (around $10 each), but you'll need to change for Circular Quay. This is the quickest, but not the most convenient, if you have to change.

alice13 May 1st, 2003 05:19 AM

what a curious post. You can afford to stay at a place like the 4 Seasons (the cost of one night there for a double - about 250 AUD - yes? - would keep 2 people quite happily in a good Sydney hostel for a week) - and yet take the time to ask about ways to get there from the airport!! I would have thought you'd be into a taxi - cost irrelevant.

But anyway, there are shuttle buses that will drop you at the door; there's the public system Airport Bus (shortly to be abolished thru lack of custom)_that will take u close enuf - or even, tho it's probably not a scheduled stop - to the door, depending ...; and there's the train. They all cost about the same c.9.00 AUD oneway. But the train would mean changing at central so not recommended. A taxi - about 25 AUD I reckon.

You'll be exhausted - so take a taxi - and enjoy Sydney.

Teresa May 1st, 2003 08:08 AM

There are shuttles waiting for every flight and they take you to the hotel for $8 AUD. They filled up quickly so we didn't have to wait long.

We also took a taxi when we returned to Sydney and that was $33 AUD to the same area.

Alan May 1st, 2003 06:05 PM

Hi, bajaflash!

The green-and-gold airport bus (already mentioned above) would probably be your easiest "budget" route, as it will drop you very close to the Four Seasons, and there's no problem with changing transport en-route. It won't be much slower than a taxi, as Sydney has many "bus-only" lanes which taxis can't use. I think the taxis from the airport to Sydney are vastly overpriced, and I would say that you'd have to be VERY tired to warrant that cost.
If you are arriving in the morning and plan to do more sightseeing that day, and you're serious about saving money, the absolutely best way for you to travel is to walk straight to the bus stand on the right as you leave the terminal and get the blue bus route 400 (marked "Burwood"). Buy a daytripper pass from the driver; it costs $13.40, and you will use it all day for buses, trains, and ferries. Ten minutes into its journey, the 400 bus stops at Rockdale Station.... or, if you feel like sitting a while longer and seeing the suburbs of Sydney, it will eventually (after about 45 minutes) reach Burwood Station. From there, transfer (no new ticket needed) to a train going to Circular Quay, which is virtually adjacent to the Four Seasons. You still have your Daytripper Pass, and you can spend the rest of the day taking ferry rides for free all over the harbour -- a great way to spend a lazy day in Sydney -- and you've still spent less than half the cost of the taxi ride.

johhj_au May 2nd, 2003 01:20 AM

Allan,
did you hear the airport bus is going to cease from may 10.

sweetsue May 2nd, 2003 02:50 PM

It is about $15 US to take a taxi, and well worth it. No point in shaving pennies.

Alan May 3rd, 2003 02:43 AM

Thanks for that info about the airport bus, john_j; no, I hadn't heard that. I guess the train line has stolen a lot of its clientele, although I have serious objections to the surcharge placed on travel by train to the airport... something like a $10 charge for a journey that would normally cost around $2.60. Maybe the cancellation of the airport bus will encourage more people to use route 400, which has no such surcharge!
$15 is a bare minimum to get from the airport by taxi to your hotel, bajaflash. That would have to be at a VERY quiet time of the day.... count on the meter going somewhere between 20 and 30 dollars if you're coming in near peak times.

prue May 3rd, 2003 07:01 PM

Alan,
Sweetsue was referring to US$ - so that would probably be about right in AUS$ - wouldn't you think?